+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreamweaver or Wordpress?

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up

Dreamweaver or Wordpress?

I'm trying to design my own sites and sales pages... which would you recommend??

Dreamweaver or Wordpress?
    Best Regards,

Deon

PS: don't forget to give a Thumbs up :]

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up
    Dreamweaver is used for coding in HTML, CSS, PHP etc
    Wordpress on the other hand is called a blog content manager. To setup a blog, you do not need any coding experience at all. If you have used a word processor before you can use Word Press of the multitude of other content managers that are out there.

Last edited by ooliver186 ooliver186; 03-09-2013 at 03:05 AM.

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up
    Hmmm... it really depends on your goals. I use them both.

I'm a Dreamweaver fanatic. Truly love it and have been using it for what... maybe 10 years now.

Anyway, I recently started transitioning over some of my sites to Wordpress. Why? It's because even though DW is a great tool - it starts to get really tough managing content that goes into the hundreds and thousands of pages.

DW is a designer's and coder's tool. And because I know how to code and design, I'll likely never give it up. But if you're a newbie - you might be better off with WP and whatever plugin can help you get the job done

Of course, if you're willing to learn how to use DW... then go for it! I've used to to make some kick-butt landing pages for clients.

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up
    I actually am pretty decent at using DW,

that is "Visuall" , I can get the site to LOOK the way I want but I can't get it to DO what I want (Interactivity) such as Scripts and Rotating banners.

I want to add a"On Exit" script redirect but I suck at Inserting Java-script lol
    Best Regards,

Deon

PS: don't forget to give a Thumbs up :]

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up
    For an "On Exit" script, DW won't be able to help much... unless it's included in its library as a pre-packaged script of some sort. Kinda like the one they had for Netscape... their "Netscape Resize Fix" or something like that

Anyway, for JS - take a look at JQuery. JQuery makes javascript coding much easier IMO. You'll likely learn it in a day or two if you're willing to read up on it. Check out W3 Schools (http://www.w3schools.com).

For an "On Exit" type script, read up on the "OnBeforeUnload" Event. When that event triggers (when visitor goes to leave page) you can throw up Message asking visitors if they are sure they want leave.

Best!

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up
    Personally the coding in Wordpress drives me round the bend but you get used to it, and it's a much kinder learning curve. The availability and ease of plugins is also excellent.

I say start with Wordpress, maybe once you've got some experience with it give Dreamweaver a shot on your next site then see which you like more.

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up
    I don't have experience with Dreamweaver, but I have used WordPress several times. I find it to be very SEO friendly, and easy to set up and manage. Plus I love all of the plug-ins and options that are available for WordPress. They also make it very simple to add audio, video and images, which help in your SEO rankings. Just MHO. :-)
    Internet Marketer
    http://www.4xworks.com
    Quality Education without the Hype

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up
    Blog Entries
    I honestly think that it would depend on what WP theme you'd be using. Some themes will let you do ANYTHING, and combining that with the crazy amount of plug-ins available for WP, there's no better option. It's faster, easier, and much less hassle!

On the other hand, some themes can be really restrictive. For those types, there's almost nothing that you can do with them that hasn't already been included in the theme, in which case, DW is better, because at least then you have some control. Non-wp sites are less likely to be hacked as well, or so I understand, so there's that benefit as well.

So I guess, in short, it depends on how complicated you want to make things and what theme you're considering.

I know that it was a bit vague, but I hope that this was helpful somehow! XD lol
    The Agile Artist
    Your one-stop-shop for quality artwork and professional project management!
    Get quality artwork for less!

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up
    Hey all,

As mentioned before: Dreamweaver is an editor. It allows someone to edit PHP, HTML, CSS, Javascript files and so much more.
    WordPress is officially called a CMS: Content Management System.

WordPress can even be combined with Dreamweaver as it allows WordPress theme files to be edited.
    Let me know if you guys need any help, i'd be more then happy to help you directly.

Hope this helps!
    Cheers,
    Aron

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up
    i mostly prefer dreamweaver so i suggest you for that. apart for that it depends on you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast