PDA

View Full Version : Advertising-Model JV Partners

Jennifer Nalleweg
04-07-2008, 01:10 PM
One thing that I've always had a little trouble with was how to approach large players in a niche that run on a traditional advertising revenue model to become JV partners.

Any commissions I could offer them on a sale seem like small potatoes and they'd rather that I just bought advertising like a banner ad because that's how they're used to working. Coming up with a win that's big enough to make them want to come on board as a JV has been a big barrier for me.

Has anyone had any luck with breaking into these larger, more traditional advertising-model companies to get them on board as a JV partner? Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Also suggestions on figuring out who at the company would be the decision-maker on something that they traditionally don't participate in would also be useful.

Reinhardt Gallowitz
04-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I have also tried it that way, but you are spot on with the fact that they are so traditional that they don't see the benefits of JV-ing but will stick with banner advertising. I think the best way going about it is probably calling them and explaining your offer.

Chris Douthit
04-07-2008, 02:20 PM
I would recommend not trying to go after JV partners who are “large players” if your not a large player yourself. You can try, but you are probably wasting your time.

You will probably have much better luck building relationships with other partners around your same level or slightly above. Once you have built JV relationships at your current level, it will propel you to the next level.

The process does not stop until you’re a large player yourself, it may take some time, but executed properly you can get there.

As an extra bonus many of the relationships you form on the way will become more important down the road as these JV partners begin to become large players themselves.

Jennifer Nalleweg
04-07-2008, 02:56 PM
That makes a lot of sense, Chris. Don't put the cart before the horse. Patience is key.

Reinhardt Gallowitz
04-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Yes you are right Chris. But I do think that big players might notice you one to some degree if you have a very unique product. But in the end it's probably better to start at a lower level. But hey...it doesn't hurt trying hey? :)

charleskirkland
04-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I agree with Chris 100%, most bigger ad companys just don't understand the JV conept so they say NO even if would be a great deal to them.

Charles