PDA

View Full Version : Wondering How One Establishes Credibility...

Joel Holtzman
02-26-2008, 11:36 AM
First, thanks to MIKE and everybody else who helps maintain this site and to those who keep it active.

My question is pretty basic. Since I develop software and am basically competing with a million others like me,
what is the best way to provide credibility to potential jv partners? Do testimonials outweigh conversion ratio?
Do you look for brand name recognition?

Besides offering a free sample and a high commission %, I figure it is my responsibility to communicate
the quality of product, delivery, customer satisfaction. However, I am not sure if there are other factors I should focus on in order to prove the quality of any product I wish to promote. For instance, would all of the listed factors be considered irrelevant if I do not test the market and obtain a 3% conversion ratio? Does one need to consider other factors that I have not listed?

Thanks for you time. I'm just trying to figure out ways to remove risk on the partner's end while proving the worth of my product when that time comes.

- Joel

PS. Also, I figure it is in bad taste to mention prior jv partners/customers/clients, if they have more 'recognition'. Is that a correct assumption?

Chris Douthit
02-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Hi Joel, offering free samples and providing a product with high conversation rates is a good place to start. However, the fact remains there is a lot of competition out there. Not only for substitute products to your own product, but also just on your release date.

If you’re planning on doing a release in the same week as another big time marketer, it wont matter what your selling, most are going to promote the big time marketers product.

My advice would be to do everything you are currently doing, but also build relationships with other webmasters. Of course the proper way to go about building relationships is a whole other topic which is discussed on here all the time.

J.Andrews
02-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Since I do not do software this info might work differently with you, however...

I'd say grab about 5-10 people out of forums (such as this one) and have them test your stuff for free. These will be your testimonials.

You can then work on your landing page via PPC/traffic exchanges/what have you and see how it converts.

To increase conversions I've found the whole Mass Control idea of lots of cool free stuff ramps it up considerably. In fact, by making MC style changes on my site I changed my .5% conversions into 10% and 35%. No, I'm not kidding.

- Relate to your visitors
- Give them cool free 'original' stuff
- Soft sell aka what you give is great, but it's only part of the story.

Get some testers, then pre-warm your traffic before you even show them your sales page. Getting people interested in what you do and sell before your try to sell them stuff is massive.

charleskirkland
02-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Chris and Jonny

I think that you two have hit the nail on the head here. What you said goes for anything that you might want to promote.

Thanks
Charles

J.Andrews
02-28-2008, 11:58 AM
On that subject of hitting up the big time market folks... it seems like the big kids are launching all the time. Obviously you don't want to go up against something like PLF 2.0 or Mass Control, but (and I may be off base here) it seems like a good idea to ride the wave from those big ones.

Find a way to position yourself with, or against, or in some way related to what is going on. It's the same sort of 'piggy backing' tactic folks use to get in the media. You find what's hot right now, and do a tie in.

Just a thought

Mike Merz
02-28-2008, 07:30 PM
PS. Also, I figure it is in bad taste to mention prior jv partners/customers/clients, if they have more 'recognition'. Is that a correct assumption?

... as social proof, Joel? I think it's a smart way to qualify yourself in the minds of those that don't know you very well, actually.

Best,

Mike

Bobby Walker
03-22-2008, 01:32 AM
Hey Joel,

I actually have a video software and
found that by giving them a full working
version (same as you would sell) this
seems to work for the serious affiliate.

Of course you run the risk of someone
just wanting a freebie with no intention
of promoting it, but I guess you just have
to pick and choose your battles.

If the product is good, people will see it
and you will build instant credibility with
that person.

Sounds pretty simple, but it has worked
well for me.

Bobby

Mike Merz
03-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Hey, Bobby.

Two things have made that strategy more difficult ... especially this year. Both of them are directly related to the drastic increase in product launches in the IM niche ... the last year, even more so.

1) High profile IMers (Gurus?) are being hit constantly with offers to JV ... they are more and more inclined to stick with their inner circle when it comes to products and recommendations. Even more of a reason to focus on building relationships with those at your level or slightly above ... as opposed to chasing the 'Big Boys and Girls', all the time ... you're more likely to 'catch' the former. ;)

2) Freebie seekers look at sites like this as easy pickins. They'll have your digital product out and spread around the popular downloading sites in a snap.

That's why I think you should hold back a little on doling out freebies ... or at least offer some kind of limited access/features version, time bombed, whatever you can do to ensure the right partners are getting the full review comps.

One of the main reasons I created this site is to help honest JV Marketers qualify themselves ... I'm sure you'll find more than a few regular participants here that have established some very important JV relationships in their time here ... I know I have. ;)

Best,

Mike

Greg Schmidt
03-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I think the hardest thing to do as a publisher is finding people to promote your product. It can be tough when you know you have a product that will 1. convert well with the right kind of list 2. have low returns due to the quality of the info.

Even when you find a great community like this one, the question still remains the same. How do I get them to promote my product.

As I have more time (if I ever have more time), I plan to use this forum and a couple of key other forums to hopefully build the relationships needed to have a successful launch.

I agree with you Mike in regards to dropping names for social proof. I have one recognizable name that is currently promoting my product and I 100% plan on using his results and name for an established launch.

Mike Merz
03-23-2008, 09:35 AM
"I agree with you Mike in regards to dropping names for social proof. I have one recognizable name that is currently promoting my product and I 100% plan on using his results and name for an established launch."

Have you thought of asking this high level contact to spread the word to, say ... 5 of his closest associates for 5 or 10% of the referred sales?

The majority of successful IMers travel in packs, as they realize the importance of relationships to leverage their success. Do what you can to break into their circles, and once you're inside ... you will have probably prequalified yourself enough with the other members for them to look at what you're offering.

Best,

Mike "Happy Easter!" Merz

Ralf Skirr
03-24-2008, 08:17 AM
My question is pretty basic. Since I develop software and am basically competing with a million others like me,
what is the best way to provide credibility to potential jv partners?

I know most potential JV partners will have other criteria, but I find that most software products -at least in the IM niche- are sub standard and because of that I would surely take a close look at the quality and manuals/tutorials of your product. It it wasn't user friendly I wouldn't care how many big names would endorse it. Well, maybe I'm a geek...

Ralf

Torched
03-26-2008, 09:45 AM
One method that doesn't get enough attention is the "reverse jv deal" where you create the content, sales letter, banners, email ads etc and give the list owner the right to that product to sell as their own. They then setup the product on clickbank and give affiliates 25% and instead of mailing their URL they now mail yours. They keep the other 75% and you get a new relationship + an email list.

This process takes out nearly all the risk from their side since they now control the product and the billing but you still get a slice of the revenue. Not to mention its a much more unique proposal than "please see my affiliate page for details". If you don't have a reputation or aren't really known within the IM circles this would probably be a more effective method of structuring a deal and getting your name out there.

Mike Merz
03-27-2008, 10:53 AM
One method that doesn't get enough attention is the "reverse jv deal" where you create the content, sales letter, banners, email ads etc and give the list owner the right to that product to sell as their own. They then setup the product on clickbank and give affiliates 25% and instead of mailing their URL they now mail yours. They keep the other 75% and you get a new relationship + an email list.

This process takes out nearly all the risk from their side since they now control the product and the billing but you still get a slice of the revenue. Not to mention its a much more unique proposal than "please see my affiliate page for details". If you don't have a reputation or aren't really known within the IM circles this would probably be a more effective method of structuring a deal and getting your name out there.

Funny you mentioned this, Torched ...

I just did an audio for a new product from Alex Goad where we both mentioned giving our best away to snag high level relationships ... sounds crazy, initially ... but the odds are it will be a major ice breaker and help you take it to the next level much faster.

A JV where you take on all creative duties in return for their name recognition and promotional power ... as long as it's something the potential partner would put their name on, will probably get you your 'in'. Good call.

Best,

Mike

simonjh
03-30-2008, 12:50 PM
This is a very exciting and interesting idea that I had not thought of.

And it woudl work for many otehr types of product.

Thanks!

SImon

charleskirkland
04-02-2008, 08:31 AM
This something that I don't see to often, but I'm going to do on a new product is give 100% away to the JV's and any body who joins instantly on all sale. This can be done with the butterfly script or even with the RAP script.

This could take a product viral FAST.

Thanks
Charles