PDA

View Full Version : Are your promotional campaigns all they could be? ... JV wise?

Mike Merz
10-30-2005, 08:50 AM
I know that this topic is similar to the ongoing poll I have running on the homepage, but I'm curious ...

From a merchant's standpoint, what do you think you could have done to make your last so so or failed joint venture fueled promotion more successful?

I have my opinions, of course ... but I'd like to hear from fellow partners that have suffered, and are looking for answers ... and I'd also appreciate the responses of those partners that think they can provide those answers ... and/or a few helpful tips derived from experience they wish to share.

I'll chime in with my own thoughts as the thread grows. ;)

Much success,

Mike

Sam Heyer
10-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Hey Mike,

A few things for people to increase the success on their project is to give everyone all the information they need to sell it ... this can include pre-written email templates, reviews, YOUR PRODUCT (if it isn't too costly for people to try before hand), and any stats that you have tested for your product already (conversion rates, etc).

I know not everyone can afford to hire a professional copywriter, but if you can I highly recommend it ... it's not crucial, but when your copy will sell at a certain % your chances of picking other JVers will increase -- emails to a list can only sell to a certain point, then it's up to the copy to sell the rest.

NOTE: If you're spending your last dollar on a copywriter then I highly recommend NOT doing it. It will most likely increase your response but there is no guarantee.

Those are some basic things that will help out your campaign ... as for people selling, pile on your own bonuses (useful bonuses) to seperate yourself from other people selling the same thing.

Hope some of this stuff helps people out and I look forward to hearing what other people have to say.

To your sexcess,
Sam Heyer
Co-author of Business Sexcess
www.businesssexcess.com (http://www.businesssexcess.com)

Mike Merz
10-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Great feedback, Sam .. ;)

In reference to offering bonuses that others promoting the same products are not ...

I'm often surprised that the average affiliate marketer fails to realize that establishing a USP ... unique selling proposition, is as important when promoting an affiliate program as one's own product.

Your USP might include your own unique contact capture page, sales copy, bonuses, rebates ... or just unique free content that others don't provide.

I also believe it's important to offer affiliates something to give their prospects that can either be downloaded or saved in some way ... preferably something valuable enough for them to go back to it multiple times ... capturing as much data as possible via form to email list is a given, of course.

You want to lock as many prospects into your promotional stream as possible ... getting them to visit your page in droves, and losing them if they're on the fence ... or don't have time that very second to go through the order process ... is not a productive way to Market.

In regards to how a merchant should work with their affiliates ... just a few points.

Make sure their account login info and affiliate member panel link is included in every promotional update ... you've simply GOT to make it as easy for them to stay focused on your promotion as possible.

Give them as much to work with in the way of tested ad copy ... headlines, ezine ad blurbs and solo ad copy.

Keep in touch with your affiliates ... without over doing it.

Take care of those that take care of you ... offer successful affiliates higher commissions as sales hurdles are met, and exceeded.

Consider co promotions ... if you have the traffic and/or email list to make it worthwhile.

I've known many top JV partners that would otherwise not promote a product or service without reciprocation ... Jim Daniels and Mark Hendricks are two I know of that come to mind ... it's not a rule, but I know for a fact that it's a preference.

That's a few random ideas ... I'm not very organized, today. ;)

Anybody else?

Much success,

Mike

Andy Beard
11-02-2005, 08:01 PM
One growing trend I have noticed for high ticket items, the affiliate mailing list is becoming more and more the primary sales channel.

If I sign up as an affiliate, I want new cutting edge products to sell.

I use different email addresses for affiliate news and sales pitches.

Whilst selling to your affiliate base might seem like a "no brainer", I am not looking for sales pitches of products I won't get to sell, and it makes me less likely to promote other products.

Mike Merz
11-03-2005, 02:53 PM
One growing trend I have noticed for high ticket items, the affiliate mailing list is becoming more and more the primary sales channel.

If I sign up as an affiliate, I want new cutting edge products to sell.

I use different email addresses for affiliate news and sales pitches.

Whilst selling to your affiliate base might seem like a "no brainer", I am not looking for sales pitches of products I won't get to sell, and it makes me less likely to promote other products.

Hi, Andy.

I agree, 100%.

Patronizing affiliates is a terrible way of gaining the trust and respect necessary to nurture successful merchant/affiliate relationships ... those two forms of notifications shouild be reaching different audiences ... and should never cross, IMHO.

Much success,

Mike

Jennifer Hunt
11-29-2005, 09:50 PM
Hello ~

First post here... yeah, I know - I need to do the intro and will a bit later tonight. I wanted to comment here real quick though...

I have recently created a product and was looking for new affiliates. My goal was to get the attention of some of those with larger lists (most of my affiliates have lists that are under 6000). In fact, the top dog on my list has a list over 90,000. I was lucky enough (yes, lucky - since I am on such a learning curve) to get this guy to promote the product... With over 90.000 how come less than 100 sales were generated? That is the question I have been trying to answer and as I have been studying what went right and wrong here is where I desperately need to improve:

1) Have reliable affiliate tracking software. I used payloadz and it failed me miserably! It has been pointed out in this thread the importance of making everything very simple to use for your affiliates. I provided sales copy, images and a free copy of the ebook - and it was enough, apparently, to have this guy notice an "unknown"... but, the affiliate link wasn't set up properly. After he sent out his promo, sales were generated... but, without any affiliate ID associated with them. Now, this particular affiliate is forced to trust me to pay him without access to tracking information for himself. I fear I have lost this affiliate for future products because of this. I have since had paydotcom.com recommended to me - but, I'm curious what the "professionals" use... How do you manage your affiliates?

2) 100% agreed - if you can hire a copywriter... do it! The only thing standing between me and more sales was/is my sales page. I have had many critique it and have modified based on their suggestions; however, apparently, it still isn't performing as it should (if anyone wants to take a look, I'd love feedback - look at my signature).

3) Give your visitors a reason to leave their email address! Again, I blew it here... I should have given something away for free to get the email address of those visiting the site. In fact, I wonder if a free offering is actually a better way to market then having a bonus if they buy it within x days. What do you think?

Well, the product is time sensitive because it is related to holiday selling on ebay and I still have a couple of weeks left to promote it and hopefully make up for my mistakes. I'm sure that in a few weeks, I will have learned from even more mistakes - mistakes, you can bet, I won't make next time!

Thanks! Glad to be here... and I promise - my intro goes up tonight :)

Jenni

Andy Beard
12-02-2005, 11:33 AM
List size isn't everything, you also have to look at open rate, targetting, pre-sell, and conversion rate.

Thus 90K might generate 4500 clickthroughs (might be on the high side I don't have figures, and every list is different), thus 100 sales is a 2.22% conversion rate.
Not record breaking, but still "in the ballpark".

Gregory Bendickson
12-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Hi Mike, your post #2 above pretty much answers my questions already
but since I already typed this up, here are my comments.

It pains me to make this post but I guess that is what this group
is all about right? Perhaps my biggest flaw is in lack of follow
through. You all know what it is like...

You plan,work,plan some more, work twice as hard and put together
what you think is a great offer but for some reason you just
don't reach critical mass enough to keep yourself motivated on the
project.

Sometimes it is easier to draw a line in the sand and start
with a new project. I think many of us fail in this regard
by getting distracted with the dozens of aspects that make up
our businesses.

I know that I trully care about our partners and one can see evidence
of this by the many months I put into creating a members/affiliate
system from scratch that refuses to bipass affiliates (even remembers
leads later from ip address if cookie fails).

But sometimes creating a great product or service just isn't enough.

My question is what does it take to get partners and affiliates to
actually voice their needs?

You can put up voting polls or ask questions but if affiliates
do not take advantage of them then there is little point.

Of course, I fully admit that my focus is not usualy on copywriting
or creating promo content (Sam Heyer is quite right above) because
I am a programmer preferring to create useful apps instead.

This is exactly why JV's can be such a great thing. Someone with
an idea,product,service provides it and others do the selling.

But where does one draw the line between providing/supporting
and being more hands on with the marketing? and partner coaching?

So my own advice is to take that little extra time (but not too long)
to plan out weeks of followups, create more promo stuff and general
prepare a little better for the long haul.

Whilst selling to your affiliate base might seem like a "no brainer",
I am not looking for sales pitches of products I won't get to sell,
and it makes me less likely to promote other products.

Oooh I just have to chime in on this one. I totally agree with that.
It has become such a problem that finding a good program that focuses
on it's own program is getting harder all the time.

Mike Merz
12-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Hey, Gregory ... ;)

Coincidently, Teresa King ( http://www.tipsfortop.com ) offered this terrific article to her list (which I subscribe to, of course).

I saw MYSELF in her friend ... and believe me, I'm cutting this one out and pasting it on my ample forehead! LOL

Hi Mike!

It's getting on to the end of the year.
I was talking with a friend who is interested in doing
a project that she has had on her mind for 15 years.

That's a long time.

I asked her what is stopping her, and I got bombarded with
things in her life that kept her from her goals.

Mostly excuses. (I'm not making light of it, nor showing
any disrespect.) What I saw was lack of focus and determination
to reach a goal.

So, I asked her to write down her stops, then prioritize
them.

How does this help?

Think about it.

I have a great idea on what I want to patent.
I don't know anything about getting a patent.
I don't know how to get a drawing for my prototype.
I'm not even sure I can design it myself. But, I do
know with the proper marketing once the product was
developed, I'd make a fortune

So, what are my stops?

Day one... find out how to get a patent and what I need
to do.

Day two or three...... Find out where to find someone
to design me what I want designed. (It's a physical
product)and I need someone I can trust.

Next, find out what it costs........
Decide if I can afford it, or what I have to cut back
on, or sell more of so I can afford it...

NOW, write down my gains! (Things toward my goal that
I've accomplished.)

Re-do my list... add new questions to be found out.
And, begin my goal and see it to completion.

How can this help you?

I think you know..... Get focused, get busy!
Write down your goal. Write down what stops or hurdles
that you'll come across. Prioritize. Handle them in
sections. It keeps the overwhelm down; it keeps you
focused; it helps you reach your goal.

Teresa King
December 8, 2005

Good stuff.

Much success,

Mike

Jennifer Hunt
12-10-2005, 04:02 AM
List size isn't everything, you also have to look at open rate, targetting, pre-sell, and conversion rate.

Thus 90K might generate 4500 clickthroughs (might be on the high side I don't have figures, and every list is different), thus 100 sales is a 2.22% conversion rate.
Not record breaking, but still "in the ballpark".

Andy,

Thanks for the encouragement... Through this JV, I had 3500 clickthroughs... so, 120 sales isn't too bad. :)

Unfortunately, I still think my novice mistakes may have cost me a future relationship with this JV. My biggest mistake was with my affiliate tracking service (and, by now I could have bought my own software a few times)... they were completely unreliable.

What affiliate tracking products are recommended?

Thanks...

Sam Heyer
12-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Hey Jenni,

For Business Sexcess we use iDevAffiliate v4.0 ... I've used others, but this is the most recent one and one that I would recommend. It's really simple to use once it is installed (advice: pay them to install it if you do go with this) and the tracking is flawless because it uses IP addresses.

I'm in the process of developing my own affiliate software (for personal use), but I'm modeling it a lot after this one because it's reliable more than anything.

As for mistakes costing you a potential future JV ... don't worry about it. We all make mistakes and learn from them. Once you get everything running well and have everything under control, even though that JV didn't go so well, they may still want to do another JV. Who knows ... but my philosophy about business is don't worry about the things that are out of your control. Just find what you need to improve on and improve on it.

Hope this helps,
Sam

P.S. If you want to see what iDevAffiliate is like you can sign up for my affiliate program and browse around. Or visit www.idevdirect.com. Talk to you soon.

Gary Baker
12-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi Mike and all fellow JV Notifyer's...

Even though I've been making an honest living online
very quietly for over 6 years, I've had my share of
faliures.

By the way... our faliures, when used as a learning
tool, make us more successful in the future.

Anywho...Just recently I spent quite a bit of time on
product development(BIG mistake) without really
looking at my market to see if it was truly a needed
resource.

Jeez, you'd think after years of doing this as a "pro"
I'd have this figured out...LOL

After testing to my own list, it seemed as though I
had yet another hit.

Boy was I WRONG!

I set up quite a few JV's with some of my past
friends, we did a "semi" large launch and to my
and my JV partners surprise, we couldn't push
more than 12 copies of this "new" product.

I felt 2 inches high. Here these credible, good
friends of mine their butts on the line and all
they got was a BIG dud.

So I guess what I'm getting at is this...

"Never Try To Fit A Product To A Market. Fit
The Market To The Product!"

When doing JV's, this is my credo!

Happy Holidays To All,
Gary Baker

http://www.jempublishing.com/monthly-leads.htm