PDA

View Full Version : Web 3.0 Book Club

Tyler Bullock
12-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Hey folks, this is my first post here but I just wanted to get some feedback before I forgot to ask!

What about an online book club? They definitely exist out there but most of them seem really outdated, it would be amazing to have like a super sleek "virtual club room" which would work like Google Hangouts.

And people would get matched into their group by doing Netflix-style taste quizzes.

I feel like I could come up with quite a few different ideas. But yeah I was thinking about it the other day and I personally would love something like that. Like not just a forum, people are sick of forums. Like a really tight-knit community; a combination of Skype, Facebook and Google Hangouts. And we could build it and market it so that people really do feel like they are making great friends through the book club. And we can say things like, "And for only $20 a month you get a free book, lively discussion and countless memories!" while we team up with a used book supplier and get the books for $5.

I feel like it could be something that eventually gets bought out by Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

But I am not a developer. I am a marketer and I could most likely fund this (though we could even try a kickstarter if we came up with a good enough catch). So I guess that means I need a developer.

Let me know if you're interested!

Luke H
01-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Hi Tyler

This does sound interesting, forums are soon going to die I agree. I have many major's in computing and these kind of topics are debated in academia constantly with the ever changing landscape of how we communicate online.

The project size would be a hurdle and "your budget". However it could be done. Before you want a developer, you want a solid business plan which is put through examination. However I like the idea.

Elviira Krebber
05-05-2015, 05:49 AM
Tyler, I have been thinking of something similar -- personally I love to read money/finance/business related books. There are lots of great books out there but no modern way to discuss about them. I'm not a developer but certainly your idea sounds good. The system has to be interactive enough, which should be quite easy to achieve nowadays. FB and Google hangouts sound like a great combo. I'm afraid there has to be a substantial amount of HR (people who drive the discussion), otherwise the activity will die soon.