PDA

View Full Version : How To Do A Professional Pre-Launch Beta Test

Ralf Skirr
10-18-2007, 07:23 AM
Hi,

I'd like to discuss how to do a beta testing phase for a product before the official launch.

Here's a quote from http://www.jvnotifypro.com/community/index.php/topic,435.0.html

If our goal on the merchant side of a JV is to offer a product and marketing system that will be well received by by both the JV listowner and his list ... why would we not test all facets of the promotion (sales copy, price point, bonuses, back ends, shopping cart process, etc.) via sub list, borrowed list, volunteer partner, or PPC campaign prior to actual launch when it would clearly increase the odds of success?

Beta testing is done extensively in other Markets ... why is it largely ignored in IM?

Since I'm preparing a launch myself here are things I think about:

1. How much time would be good for a beta testing?
The idea is to improve conversion through testing, e.g. driving PPC traffic to the sales page and split testing different versions.

2. In the quote above Mike presents a pretty large list of things to improve. How could that be done practically? You can't test all the things with one test but you would have to create multiple tests.
But since it's beta phase you have limits regarding traffic and time. What would you do practically? Especially if you do not have a list yet that you could use for testing. :o

3. How about the fact that after a longer and more extensive beta test the product isn't exactly new any more? Does that matter to the JV Partners? I think I read that new products have a better chance to find lots of partners. Although personally I'd rather promote a product that has been tested for several months.

Thanks for your ideas,
Ralf

qpuncturist
10-20-2007, 06:15 PM
This is a good post and I would like to see what others say...

Mike Merz
10-21-2007, 08:14 AM
As I mentioned previously ... ways to beta test may include a Warrior Forum Special Offer (WSO), asking one partner or more of your core group to run an exclusive offer to their list(s), create/use a sub list of your own for that specific use, or run targeted PPC campaigns.

One good reason to use one or more from your core group to help you beta test is to get their feedback ... collectively, they should be able to provide personal input and data from their mailings sufficient enough to pick out the bugs and inconsistencies that may have adversely effected your launch if it had gone untested.

The bottom line is any testing is better than none at all.

As far as it not being 'new' ... it's in beta, and advertised as such, without the final touches, polish, bonuses, etc., of the 'final version' ... and the fact that it's not being advertised anywhere else but to those few lists should still make it exclusive enough ... no affiliate program links ... no way for it to be offered for sale by any other means ... just to that specific group.

Example ... one thing that Mike Filsaime did to pre sell and beta test Butterfly Marketing, simultaneously ... was to sell it at a discount to Seminar attendees well before it went on sale in Jan. of 2006. He took the feedback and testimonials from beta customers from multiple Seminars, and put it right back into the final product prior to launch ... didn't hurt, as you may remember. ;)

Too often I see clients go into the launch blind with no way to see if others see the same value in what they are offering ... the same usability ... if the copy pulls the way it is intended ... just a handful of basic things that could make or break a launch given a fresh set or two of eyes to get a different perspective.

I always tell clients to start bringing partners on 4 - 6 weeks before a new product launch ... after touching base, find a few key partners to brainstorm and run test mailings during the first week or two of the cycle to hone and precise your offer and process ... that's just one idea.

The important thing is do do SOMETHING ... don't leave everything to chance, as your product and self brand ... not to mention the time and money put into the promotion, is at risk. Better your odds before rolling the dice.

Best,

Mike