PDA

View Full Version : Help yourself by helping others

Richard Legg
06-17-2007, 07:28 AM
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I first 'stumbled' across this forum. When I first joined I felt I didn't have much to offer so became more of a 'lurker'

Anyway, I wanted to share with everyone my experience of how helping other people online has helped me to grow my business.

When I first started out, I did the same things that a lot of people do - find potential JV partners and blatantly say "Promote me and I'll give you XX% .. yada yada"
(You know the story :))

Well as you can guess that didn't get me far!

However, in the past couple of years I've had the privilege of meeting some great people both at offline events and also through different forums etc. Since I didn't have a lot to offer people, I would simply ask them if there was any way I could help them, whether it be with a promotion or just a testimonial on a product of theirs I had tried.

The difference in the way people perceive you when you do this is huge. Instead of the (slightly unprofessional) newbie trying to get a free ride from someone with a big list, you actually come across as a genuine person. The effect of this is that you start to build a network of friends and associates online. People will then introduce you to their partners and share ideas with you. Before you know it, you've gone from being the "lone gunman" type marketer, to being known and having a circle of marketing buddies.

Then when the time comes that you need a little help, people will be more than happy to give it as you've been there for them in the past.

Ok, so the point of all my rambling is this ... you don't need to get all the big guys to promote you at first to be successul. Take a little time to give before you take. Even though it may take a little more time and effort at first, it will ultimately be more rewarding for everyone in the long run.

I think that's why Mike tries so hard to make the point of doing for other people what you'd want them to do for you. (I see it now Mike ;))

Give a little first, and you can get a lot more in return.

All the best,

Richard

P.S I hope that made sense to people and not just me :-\

Hamida Pall
06-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Great post Richard, and as a newbie to JV's I'll certainly be taking your advice on board

charleskirkland
06-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Richard

I agree with you 100% helping others is the best way to help your self.

Thanks
Charles Kirkland

francisj
06-30-2007, 04:15 AM
Yes, I believe this too be true, I do help others alot and in turn it has helped me grow as a marketer, most of the people I have helped have become my friends and mentors and now I have learned a lot and my business has slowly progressed because of it.

charleskirkland
07-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Its funny the more I help others the more money I make.

Thanks
Charles

Russell Portwood
07-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Richard:
Oh how true. I went back to an article I wrote for my newsletter literally years ago that explained this concept. Sometimes in the rush of the day we forget. But your post, and my own advice brought me back to the basics; give value, focus on the other guy, serve with integrity. Funny how sometimes I forget to follow my own advice!

In fact, I'm working on a project right now that has a LOT of JV potential but the focus is on the people who will be the JV partners and the people we will be helping together. The initial response I have received (even from some names you would recognize) has been super-positive.

I may have to keep coming back to read this post to keep me in line!

Russell