PDA

View Full Version : What to do when a JV goes wrong?

Will Barden
05-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi all.

I did a JV a while back, and managed to get some big partners involved.
Combined, I was expecting an email promotion to hit 50,000 inboxes
on launch day. Unfortunately.. it was probably less than a tenth of that.

I managed to achieve a higher response rate than all my partners put
together!

This was probably due to the fact that there was no monetary incentive
for partners, but still - we had agreed on a deal, and many didn't follow
through.

What can we do when the unfortunate occurs?

P.S. Mike, I've sent you a PM. Could you confirm receipt? Thanks.

Mike Merz
05-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Will ... a few quick questions.

1) Did you interact with each JV partner prior to launch? ... via telephone (or Skype, IM), hopefully?

2) Did you email your JV list on a regular basis throughout pre launch and launch with updates (launch numbers, new promo material/tools)? Did every email have login URL and account access?

3) Did you run a JV partner sales contest? ... and keep your partners aware of the standings?

4) Did you promise a reciprocal mailing at a date to be negotiated after launch in exchange for their participation?

Let's start with the aforementioned ... and go from there.

Best,

Mike

Mike Merz
05-06-2007, 01:53 PM
A quick tip to make something out of the nothing that Will unfortunately experienced ... and he's not alone by any stretch of the imagination.

If you notice that you're not getting any action out of those you were counting on, contact them individually ... one by one ... ask them if there's a problem, and if there's anything you can do to help them with the promotion. Sometimes that little personal wake up call will do the trick. If it's gone beyond launch day and you've still not seen any results, another nudge ... then ask them if they'd prefer you set up an individual promotion to their lists at a later date (rolling launch). This also works if you've been pushed aside in favor of a major player's promotion ... even though you had an agreement. Tell them you understand, and that you're willing to set something up with them at a later date.

The amount of money you make during a JV fueled promotion can be controlled to a great extent if you apply some of the things I've mentioned, and you're willing to do a little extra work ... you can't just press the upload button on launch day, sit back and watch the money roll in ... you have to cover all the bases.

Would I love to smack the taste out of the mouths of some of the A listers and B listers I know that turn coat and jump aboard the next big thing ... and leave you hanging, without even the decency of offering to promote you at a later date?

... YOU BETCHA!

But it doesn't work that way, unfortunately ... the list owners have the upper hand in this situation, and you have to make the best of it.

Best,

Mike

Reed Floren
05-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Another tip is sometimes I ask some of their close friends to bug them too on it. Maybe tell them some of their results. This provides social proof and helps guilt them ;D

Will Barden
05-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Mike,

1) Via email, yes. They all understood and agreed
to what I had proposed - two mailings in exchange
for advertising space.

2) I did mail pre launch and post launch, but there
was no login area since no sales were taking place.

3) see 2)

4) No. The deal was that they mailed in exchange
for advertising space. In the same spirit as most
giveaway events are run, the contribution of all
partners determines the success of the event. For
the greater good, if you like.

I guess the lack of cash incentive hampered their
willingness to participate, which is probably my
own fault.

Still, I hoped that they would see the benefits:
if they all mailed out, the ads would be seen by
a large audience and sales would follow. If no-one