PDA

View Full Version : Great read : how to build and sell a niche ecommerce store for $250,000

Rob Toth
02-14-2011, 08:38 AM
This was a great read on niche ecommerce: http://www.imnewswatch.com/2011/02/14/how-i-started-grew-sold-an-e-commerce-business-for-quarter-million-dollars-250000-by-yaro-starak/

All the links, resources, tools etc used area also mentioned in the article.

giorgio79
02-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Pretty good read. Although I wonder, why he sold it, given he mentions it is a billion dollar industry and he settled for 250 thousand.
It was also weird, how "out of nowhere", one of his relatives turned out to be a huge player in the field with a warehouse :)

Look forward to the 2nd part, and hope he will mention the domain name as well :)

Rob Toth
02-15-2011, 10:54 AM
You're not sure why someone would sell a business just because it's in a big industry? ???

If you start up a business, and let's say get it up to $10,000 per month profit in the gambling niche (a giant industry)... and you're making $10k per month with it, but someone comes and says "I'll take it off your hands for $250k", would you consider it?

If it's your sole focus, your "baby" or you have big plans for it... then maybe you'll hold on to it, build it and later sell it for even more.

But I'm not sure what the size of the potential market has to do with it.

Why does any business owner sell any business? because it frees up their time and gives them an exciting payday. In my opinion, the reason you BUILD a business is to sell it.

giorgio79
02-15-2011, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't sell a biz for 250 000 when I could be making millions with more effort.

Also, I prefer a stream of 10 000 / month for the next ten years, than 250 000 cash right now, so I guess we are different. :) But it all depends on what someone wants... I aint cutting a golden goose, unless upside potential is diminishing.