PDA

View Full Version : How to Get Big Name Affiliates to Mail for You

Garin Kilpatrick
02-10-2011, 12:37 AM
This advice is based on the first of six "Weapons of Influence" exaplained by the now famous PhD psychologist Robert Cialdini in his book "Influence." This book has made a huge mark in the Internet Marketing industry, it is Yanik Silvers favorite book, and I noticed that Frank Kern recently shared a video of Robert Cialdini on his Facebook page.

The "Law of reciprocity" states that: People tend to return a favor when a favor is given to them. This explains the pervasiveness of free eBooks, ecourses, etc, in the IM world. The more free stuff you give someone the more likely they are to buy something from you.

I have been able to apply the "Law of reciprocity" to get big name JV's to mail for me by first writing several guest posts for their blog. Note that this strategy only works when the JV has a blog, but since many do, it can be a very effective way to build relationships with several bloggers.

Guest posting is also a great way to get quality links with specific anchor text back to your blog, or opt-in offer, so even if the JV you are trying to get to mail for you decides not to mail for you right away you are still benefiting by funneling their audience back to your site.

After you write a guest post for a big name affiliate don't right away ask them to mail for you. Try and build the best relationship you can with them first. Connect with them on twitter, retweet a few of their tweets, and add them as a friend on Facebook.

Ask the affiliate you want to mail for you if they have anything they'd like you to write about as a guest post for their blog. If they give you an idea, run with it, and write an awesome guest post. The idea is to do several favors for the affiliate you are targetting to prove to them that you can be a real asset for their business. Once you have done several favors it is time to ask if they will mail for you. Ask them on Facebook, if you are able to connect with them as a friend. Tell them that you will be happy to continue to help them out if they are able to mail for you.

At this point most affiliates will mail for you, this strategy is not 100% effective, but if you get the magic of the "Law of reciprocity" working for you the chances of getting a big name blogger mailing for you increase ten fold.

This strategy has worked for me, and I am sure it can work for you too! :)

Cheers,

Garin Kilpatrick

suziphillips
02-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Great advice Garin for thinking outside the box. Thanks for sharing your helpful insights!

Justin Atlan
02-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks! I'm sure to use it!

I find that making small bonuses for big name guys blogs or giving them free content for their subscribers works well too!

paulbarrs
02-18-2011, 08:49 PM
After you write a guest post for a big name affiliate don't right away ask them to mail for you. Try and build the best relationship you can with them first. Connect with them on twitter, retweet a few of their tweets, and add them as a friend on Facebook.

There doesn't seem to be "like" button here, but if there was I'd be clicking it. :)

I've highlighted the "main thing" here to make this work.

Paul Barrs

Gene Wolf
02-23-2011, 09:29 AM
I like what Justin said. That makes a great deal of sense to me. In that vein here's what I would like to offer. As you all know I'm new to this and I'm probably making some mistakes. I have always learned by trying. I also find that I learn from people that have successfully done something in the past.

Here's what I would like to propose. I have written in the past. I've been published in an e-commerce related textbook, written for a large newspaper, etc. I can write. If you would like a mini-ebook written, 5-10 page, about a topic drop me a line. Give me the topic you want to cover, the audience you want to target (with as much specifics as you can), what you want to get across to them, the points you want to make, etc. You get the idea. I'll do all the research, I'll put it together and send it to you. You can do whatever you want with it. Create your own cover, put your name on it. It's yours to give away.

What I would like from you is either helping me market my product to your clients or a review of what I'm doing (website, product, marketing) from an external perspective and constructive criticism of what you see me doing, in your opinion, could be done better or that I should not be doing at all. :D

Now please, understand that if someone takes me up on this offer it'll take me roughly 3-4 days to get each mini-book done. If I get 10 people asking for this, well, you get the idea.

I'm one willing to give in order to get so if you're willing to help me out drop me an e-mail and we can discuss what it is you need.

Dave Lianelli
02-23-2011, 04:43 PM
What I find difficult is finding communities, groups, etc where I can actually meet and network with people.

Most forums are on-topic discussion only. The people that add me on skype are only there for the money, to promote their stuff to me.

Though I must admit, I've barely used FaceBook, LinkedIn and know that some people got their own 'chatroom' on skype. Though never found the details or know how it works...

Anybody got any pointers?