PDA

View Full Version : Website Questions (Subscribers)

Rob Tramontano
09-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Ok I just launched my new website but I am just trying to get a few things in place.
I am wondering about when a person subscribes if I should just have it set so aweber will display their page that says they need to confirm or if I should make it redirect to a post on my blog instead. I thought that this method might be better since I can customize my message and tell them whatever I want.. at the same time I like the aweber form because a whole page comes up and either with a video or an audio that tells them they need to confirm the subscription.

What do you think?

I am thinking both are good but that the blog post method would be better.
I will have to hide the blog post from categories and home page but luckily I got a plug-in for this.

Also I see many people using light box pop-ups and slide-up footers for optins.. what method do you like better?

I do not want the pop-ups to annoy my viewers so I may go with the footer.
I know you can set options so that they will only pop-up every so many days
but if a user clears their cookies the pop-up will show again.

Recky Nunez
09-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Having the subscriber confirm there subscription will keep your list clean and more legit.

If you want the direct them straight to your blog and not a confirmation, then it is completely up to you. This option isn't all too bad but I would recommend the double opt-in option anytime.

Recky

Rob Tramontano
09-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Yes it is double opt-in.. I am not sure you understand what I am trying to say. I mean I can either use the aweber confirm page they provide or make it go to my blog instead where I would have a blog post that would say basically the same message like "Please confirm your subscription" except I can customize it and say some additional information like "To get your free download you will need to confirm your email address.." and thank you for subscribing which I would also say after they confirm anyway.

Just wanted to know what other people are doing in terms of this.

Recky Nunez
09-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi Rob,

Now I understand what you meant. ;)

I would recommend redirecting them to your blog because then they can also explore your blog a little more too.

We'll that's in my opinion anyway ;D

Thanks

Recky

Tony Marriott
11-05-2010, 11:33 AM
AS long as your blog explains exactly what the
subscriber needs to do next (i.e. confirm) then
going to any custom page has to be better as
you are then able to:

1. Explain in detail what's needed to done,
2. Use Pictures, video or even yourself to explain
3. Make the first start at establishing your brand
4. Co-ordinate with the confirmation page
5. Close (final sell) the confirmation

Just make the most of the opportunity, especially
explaining the spam/junk folder issue in a positive way.
Expain the emaill address and name they will see in
their in box etc and you will increase completed signups
as compared to the basic/advanced aweber options.

I saw one where the guy had a video of himself explain
everything including the steps after the confirmation
adding a real "close" to the opt in process.

Often people will have filled in the email form to get a
free "something or other" - If the email is not blatently in
their inbox right away they will forget about it. After all
there's no shortage of other free stuff!!!

So pre-sell the product to make them want to hunt down
that errant confirmation link and get more succesful opt-ins

Tony

Curt Reves
11-05-2010, 09:26 PM
When trying to choose between single opt-in or double opt-in (confirmation), it helps to consider all of the variables. Usually it's best to test both. If you are going to use double opt-in or "confirmation" then I agree with Tony, definitely use a custom confirmation page and give them a lot of reasons to chase your email and confirm.

But if all you are trying to do is build a list, then single opt-in will probably give you better results. It depends on your niche, your free giveaway, the quality of your squeeze page and confirmation page, etc. If you are driving paid traffic to your squeeze and your only getting a 50% confirm rate, it can get expensive real fast. I would try both and test.

Curt

Alan Ward
11-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Double-optin = better quality list, less number of subscribers

Single-optin = Larger number of subscribers, lower quality list

So go figure...

Mike Nguyen
01-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Ok I just launched my new website but I am just trying to get a few things in place.
I am wondering about when a person subscribes if I should just have it set so aweber will display their page that says they need to confirm or if I should make it redirect to a post on my blog instead. I thought that this method might be better since I can customize my message and tell them whatever I want.. at the same time I like the aweber form because a whole page comes up and either with a video or an audio that tells them they need to confirm the subscription.

What do you think?

I am thinking both are good but that the blog post method would be better.
I will have to hide the blog post from categories and home page but luckily I got a plug-in for this.

Also I see many people using light box pop-ups and slide-up footers for optins.. what method do you like better?

I do not want the pop-ups to annoy my viewers so I may go with the footer.
I know you can set options so that they will only pop-up every so many days
but if a user clears their cookies the pop-up will show again.

Hey Rob,

There's a plug-in called Redirect Comment that can help you redirect readers to a specific page after they comment on your blog, based on this you could put Aweber form to make them subscribe. Hope to give you some idea here :)