PDA

View Full Version : Server / Hosting / Hardware recommended for a jvnotifypro launch

giorgio79
09-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Hello,

Been wandering what traffic a more successful jvnotifypro launch generates on the landing site, and what hosting / server setup the partners here use to handle these.

Having seen some products with 1000 gravity in CB I assume that equates to 50-100 000 uniques a day, so a single dedicated server may not do it, but rather a cluster of servers or an Amazon EC2 that is scaled easily. I guess it also has to do with app caching so only cached html is served, still I am curious of your experience. :)

Cheers,
Gyuri

Nick Sharp
09-20-2010, 02:09 AM
Try Rackspacecloud or stormondemand.com.

giorgio79
09-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks Nick, cloud sites at Rackspace look ideal. Since it is hard to tell how many users will come, I believe it is best to prepare for the best estimate :)

silho
10-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Personally, I use singlehop.com

They have 24 hour phone, email, and chat support. I have literally called them at 3:30 in the morning.

You get a dedicated server - with or without a system admin.

You even have a dedicated account manager - so you have the same person to yell at if you want to.

I've been through some of the big boys (mentioned here) but I love this company.

Steven Jenkins
10-15-2010, 04:01 AM
I personally use Rackspace as well. But pay attention when you go there, they offer 3 different products:

Cloud Sites
Cloud Files
Cloud Servers

You want the "Cloud Sites" - it took me quite a conversation with the Rackspace Chat Team to get confirmation that this is the only of their products that offers unlimited growth, so you will never have to migrate to a bigger server or anything like this any more.

It's tempting to gor for Cloud Servers, but they are basically like physical dedicated servers which can be maxed out.

When you go for "Cloud Sites" expect a short learning curve with their admin interface - it's NOT cPanel, but a Rackspace special one. It offers far less options than cPanel (e.g. in terms of email addresses management), but up to now I didn't really miss anything (maybe apart from the fact that minimum cron job repetition time in 5 minutes, so your cron jobs won't run every single minute).

The technical support via chat is excellent, so I can give Rackspace Cloud Sites a real 'thumbs up'.

kcolgan
10-15-2010, 07:01 AM
Very informative thanks a lot guys