PDA

View Full Version : How To Get The JV's You Want

Aaron Darko
09-08-2010, 04:21 AM
My name is Aaron Darko and I am Greg Jacob's JV Manager.

I am going to provide some really good tips on how to get JVs.

Firstly you need to know what motivates somebody in order to be able to influence someone.

Normally this is money but not always. The big guru's are not JUST motivated by money. They want more than just a payday off a launch. They want to know if your product will provide their list with immense value and they want their list to love them because they sent them to your product. Most importantly they want a long term relationship with you and will only promote your stuff if its really good. A personal relationship is also important to them too.

Ok, have any of you seen the movie glen gary glen ross?

Well in the movie he says AIDA. This is a formula for closing the sale.

I have created my own AIDA for getting JV's and this is what you want them to do:

(Attention)A- opens email
(Interest) I - replies
(Decision) D - signs up
(Action) A - mails list

Exactly like that. This is the process you want every JV to go through.

Also, to influence someone to do what you want them to do in this business you need to establish 3 things:

1) Get them to love the product
2) Get them to trust you
3) Get them to trust your company

Once you have done these 3 things it is easier for people to do what you want them to.

Let me know what you thought of this, and add your bits of advice for people too.

Dan B
09-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Love your point about the importance of a long term relationship - this is exactly right, I want a long term relationship with my partners rather than just a one off mail.

I think if you approach people with this in mind it will show in your email and they will see you are not just pushing them the same email as 1000s of other people will receive from you, but that you do want to work with THEM specifically.

This also filters down into writing your opening pitch to them with a little unique info - to show youve been on their site and that you know about their business / product and that they really are a relevant partner.

This personal, long term approach worked for me in our last launch, and I have kept in touch with all of my partners and will be working with them again too.

Aaron Darko
09-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey Dan, yeah absolutely.

Thats right you have to approach them knowing about them and what they do and reference that straight away because that then builds rapport quickly. You have to earn their trust and then they are easier to influence - ethically of course. Its all for mutual benefit

Keith Blackburn
09-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks for this insight Aaron...

I'm new to JVing so any such advice is very valuable to me.

I like the AIDA acronym, and building trust and long-term relationships is vital...good stuff.

Thanks again - Keith

rmartin33
09-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Brilliant insight re:motivating people based on what they already want...In other words, people want to keep & enhance the relationships with their customers while making it profitable too. IMO, there aren't enough high quality products that launch every year, so it's tough because you got to the rent without losing your customers!

:)

Aaron Darko
09-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Hey Keith, thank you.
Yeah its the holy grail essentially!

Hi Richard,
Thank you, yes that is absolutely right and yes there are not many high quality products out there! Which is why we are here to produce the good ones! I am launching my own Product on November 18th

Ben Brandes
09-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Hey Aaron

Great post! Especially the bit about "They want to know if your product will provide their list with immense value and they want their list to love them because they sent them to your product".

On top of that I have found going to IM events and networking with people after the event has been the best form of JV building I have done. The relationships are made at the pub more than in the seminar room.

Add value to them and be yourself - just buying them dinner and drinks goes a LONG way!

Aaron Darko
09-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Hey Ben, thanks man.

Yeah going to IM events is the easiest way to get a JV!

Because its more 'real'. Yes just be yourself and add value to them, exactly!

1) If they like you enough to invite you out with them then thats even better, and THEN you can pay because it was their idea to invite you out with them.

2) The other way is if you invite them out to dinner and pay. I wouldn't recommend this because then they might sense you want something from them (hence the kind gestures)

The 1st one is more my style and is more natural. Up to you which one you choose!

abbesnetwork
09-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Hey there,

Well i think i've posted this opinion around here and i think that the big names must be called (by phone). it works, it makes another kind of approach.

Thanks,

Razvan

Aaron Darko
09-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Hey Razvan, Absolutely man. The phone is one thing i missed out. I use it and it really does speed up the relationship process!

Matthew Iannotti
09-16-2010, 07:33 PM
I think it's very important to just take action in reaching out to them. I think most our afraid of no response. Which is O.K. Not everyone will respond, but I'm betting a majority will. If they can help you become successful, they will not only make themselves more successful, they will be making more money as well.

tblrg
09-16-2010, 09:54 PM
One more point on how to get the JVs want you. If you demonstrate a potential for continuous stream of high value products with a multiplier effect, you can be assured of greater JV response.

michaelzenga999
09-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Hey Aaron, that is great stuff, thanks.

Mike

Aaron Darko
09-19-2010, 02:09 PM
@Matthew yes this is true but they want your product to WOW their list.
@tbirg yes exactly!
@michaelzenga thank you man!

Nick Sharp
09-20-2010, 01:53 AM
What's also interesting is the "herd" mentality. If you can get one big name or a couple... others are sure to follow, are at least give strong consideration.

Aaron Darko
10-12-2010, 02:28 AM
Absolutely - the heard mentality where everyone joins up is what you want. You want your conversions to be so good that everyone else who is sitting on the fence just jumps on board anyway!

paul@SimpleOnlineIncome.c
10-14-2010, 06:19 PM
I am very encouraged by the comments in these posts. I was being advised not to bother to attempt to contact the "more successful" IMers because they operate in closed shop environment, looking after each other and not terribly interested in new faces joining in!
Well I for one intend to break that myth and will be doing my best to gain their respect and trust to our mutual trust.

kcolgan
10-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Hello Aaron

Very interesting indeed. My husband want to take his product to the next level and I think he would benefit a lot asking you some questions can I refer him to you?

Adam Roy
10-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Killer info.

I'm hoping to release a product within the next few months. Never done 'the real deal' aka SERIOUS PRODUCT LAUNCH.

I liked how you referenced 'AIDA', I've only heard and thought of that term relating to copywriting and sales funnels. But I now realize that it in fact works in many other ways as well.

Thanks for the post man, wanna be MY JV manager? lol

Glen Kirkham
10-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Aaron, Another inspiring post, thanks man :-)

The important part is actually coaxing them into mailing... I found that with putting prizes for JV's, and not just ipod and laptops, things that are rare i.e. black diamond rolex watch from the hills of Nicaragua is a lot more tempting for them to mail than a flat screen TV...

Oliver Olsen_
10-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Wow, great conversation.

I'm a launch manager and I always say to clients that there are really two launches: one to the prospects and the other one to the JVs! And in that sense, it's old school marketing...AIDA, just like you say.

The Attention part is the biggie for me. How do I get their attention? Do something different. I'm thinking, everyone is asking for or offering the JV xyz ...so I won't lead with that. Instead, I'll lead with, "Hey, what we'd like to do is build YOU a list with our content!"

Also, I find design is a big deal: that gets attention. Website and graphics, banners, ...otherwise you are dead in the water.

Email is the worst way to make content. Video isn't that great either. Phone is good but you need to have your ducks in a row and resist the temptation to sell ...as opposed to connect. Connect in some way and you will feel good when you get off the phone.

But, if you really want to get their attention, send them traffic. Yum.

Other ways....RT their tweets. Tweet their content. Write a review of their stuff on your site and give them link love with keyword loaded anchor text ...not an affiliate link.

Be nice. Be genuine. And stick by them for at least 6 months, maybe more... You have to prove your loyalty beyond doubt.

Best,

Oliver

farfrombrooklyn
10-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Aaron, thanks for starting a great thread.

Pure gold in this topic.

We currently receive around 2k ( http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/2989/Inbound-Marketing-vs-Outbound-Marketing.aspx - no marketing, not my link, good stuff here.) marketing messages daily, getting through the clutter is first, with all the ducks lined up (thanks Oliver: BTW, the ribs sound scrumptious) first as well.

How we communicate always played an important role in our success, technology and volume is making this skill ever more valuable.

The relationship is first and foremost, which can be built very well around value for all involved. Digging a bit deeper, old school-er here... looking at the JV wave that's what it's all about. Identifying and monetizing clear value propositions via the shared assets of all the participants.

Before contacting someone, the first question I need to answer is what is my value to that persons endeavor. Once I conquer that hurdle, conversions are close behind.

Thanks! Sergio.

Misako
10-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Great insight, Aron! I am developing a product right now and your tips could not have come at a better time for me! :)

Aaron Darko
11-15-2010, 02:17 PM
@Karen if you want sure!
@Adam, thank you! Right now I am very busy with my projects. Ask me in the new year!
@Glen, that is spot on!
@Oliver - wow great point there about building them a list with your content! Design is very important. That is why on my JV Page I made sure it was different than every other boring Jv page out there. Your tips are great man.
@farfrombrooklyn - thank you. You are right.
@Misako - you're welcome!

lianjunyi
11-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi Aaron,

Really appreciate for the high quality information.
AIDA is important to know if I want to get some JVs.
Still learning hard now.

Reno X
12-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Hey Aaron

Thanks for the great tips!

How are your conversion rates for your new pushbutton software?

I have a list, maybe we could do an ad swap?

Cheers,

Reno

John Saeger
12-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Aaron
Excellent thread, I am new to the Internet Marketing world but not new to business. I believe relationships are the most important part of any business. I look at it as a close friendship. You wouldn’t have a friend for just one day and then leave them. No you keep them around for a longtime. Most people don’t understand the importance of this. I have owned my own physical business for several years now and without the relationships of other parties I could never be as successful as I am. I believe there should be some type of class on here to help people establish relationships with potential jv’s. Like myself I find it just a little hard sometimes to explain myself through email. But if people will follow your simple acronym it will help them out tremendously. Great post by the way and I love reading post like this.

John

vivek narayan
12-08-2010, 03:35 AM
Hey Aaron,
These are some good points you made in your post.As far as JVs are concerned, the formula "Give Before You Take" always applies.

Most of the accompolished maketers value long term partnerships more than upfront commissions.They would prefer a person who can help them with their own product launches and that is why marketers with big mailing lists get JV partners so easily.

That said,there is nothing like an "inner circle" in IM.Even newbies can get big name marketers promoting their products if they follow the below formula:

1)Build a mailing list.You can use article marketing,Forum marketing or PPC(if you can afford) for that purpose.The basic idea is to build a subscribers list having at least a couple thousand prospects.

2)Increase your list size by doing adswaps.These swaps will not only increase your list size but also help you in getting JV partners.

3)In the meantime,provide as much value to your subscribers as you can.Providing quality content for free is the ultimate way to win over your prospects.

4)Once you have 5,000+ subscribers,participate in a couple of big launches and register your presence in the JV leaderboard.Once you succeed in doing that,there will be no difficulty in getting JV partners.
Thanks,
Vivek

Reno X
12-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Good points indeed..

I do have a list... quite a large as well (towards 100,000 - Nothing purchased,purely my own double opt-in webform subscribers :) )

However, I have not been in contact with my list for quite some time (About 6-12 months) Don't ask me why, I know it was a STUPID mistake not keeping in touch.

Anyway, would anyone have advice on how to "revive" a list that you have not contacted for a while?

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Reno

vivek narayan
12-12-2010, 04:11 AM
Good points indeed..

I do have a list... quite a large as well (towards 100,000 - Nothing purchased,purely my own double opt-in webform subscribers :) )

However, I have not been in contact with my list for quite some time (About 6-12 months) Don't ask me why, I know it was a STUPID mistake not keeping in touch.

Anyway, would anyone have advice on how to "revive" a list that you have not contacted for a while?

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Reno

Hi Reno,
The best thing you can do now is provide some of your best content for free.You are not alone in doing this mistake.I too,when I started building my first list more than a year ago,didn't contacted them for almost 4 months after a few initial mailings.

Yes,it was quite a mistake and I found that my "opening rate" has dropped by several percent.But once I started providing them free content,it improved significantly.

Be sure to not promote anything for first couple of weeks,once the trust factor is regained you can promote them whatever you want.
Best Regards,
Vivek

Len Wright
12-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Great posts!

Thought I would chime in and add that a great little book that talks about the service first attitiude is "the Go-Giver'". Enjoyable and easy read but an extremely powerful concept.

I can't agree more with all of these great posts, that the relationship is the best advantage you have in the JV partnership. If you work on developing a very solid and trusting relationship, you are in a much stronger position :)

It's also about long term relationships and life time value that counts here rather than a deal only. Then you can rely on your "friends" to assist you in getting into other partners by introducing you which is about as strong as it gets. A personal introduction always beats out a cold call. The more you serve the other the more they will WANT to make those introductions for you. :)

Keep up the great work all and remember that if you build the trust, serve and be authentic...the business will come to you rather than you chasing the business ;)

Peace

Saleem Yaqub
12-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah, its all about social proof I guess. I'm currently working on recruiting JV parters and this is useful. Thanks

Mike Nguyen
01-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Hey Aaron,

I'm really interested in your post man, but could you tell me how you can achieve this? Do we need to write some letters to affiliate and post on the website and/or send email to a list of affiliates and asking them to join our product?

margo
01-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Hey Aaron

Thanks for great tips.
I'm about to launch my product soon, s your post here gave me some really sweet ideas.

Thanks

olapeju bankole
01-14-2011, 08:19 PM
I believe what you said, things that will prolong relationship should be done. Despite that the subscribers will get the same mails from many affiliates for a particular product, when they trust you they tend to open your mails even if they delete others.
Also affiliates should be fair in the review of the products they market, it is not about money as your rightly said, but about integrity, reputation and goodwill.

Nicole Charles
01-18-2011, 03:40 AM
Great info in this thread, tried the email approach to 12 top people in my IM niche just for 1 tip of advice to include in a presentation I was putting together and wanted to include their photo and link to blog site but didn't work all that well, so a video blog post is next to send them traffic as someone else suggested above! Not going to give up but its very hard when you're new to the scene to try to get noticed as such!

crwd
01-19-2011, 02:20 PM
A very timely post for me. I'll definitely put some of this advice to use.

Gavin Stephenson
01-24-2011, 06:50 PM
AIDA reminds me of ADD.

I use AIDA when creating video content.

I guess I should use more offen

Bill Zimmerman
01-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Great thread! For me, without a doubt meeting people in person is one of the best ways to build those relationships, especially when first starting out. After that it is definitely helping someone first and give give before you ask them to help you. When you give, you get!

Gary Prendergast
02-01-2011, 02:56 PM
We've been applying that formula or similar for some time now to our own customers - giving outstanding value and service.

It makes perfect sense that we should now extend that formula and start providing our potential partners and their customer (our future customers) will exactly the same service.

dejurs2000
02-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks for sharing. Speaking of, can i start a debate of CB vs PDC ? Which one you reckon the gurus and most affiliates would prefer ?

Or should we make this a new topic for debate? :)

Regards,

Reiza Juremi

Justin Atlan
02-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Hey Great stuff Aaron,

It shows in your last launch!

Reiza,

What's PDC?

suziphillips
02-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Yes, I agree. A stale list is best revived by giving away good valuable and relavant stuff... not just old rehash... but give them a real product for free... one with high value... like a free tutorial video on something that will help them.