PDA

View Full Version : Not everything needs a launch

Rob Toth
12-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Wow Jeff did a great job with PLF... took a common biz concept, packaged it as a "big payday" model and created some sort of false-assumption on part of just about every marketer I encounter that EVERY promotion needs a "launch".

You know... anticipation building, buzz, "launch day", we're live now, go go go... that crap.

Just a not-so gentle reminder... not every event needs to be built up with anticipation. If you try to make EVERYTHING a big deal to your leads, NOTHING will be a big deal.

They get used to everything being about a one-day opening, some sort of scarcity play, lots of enthusiasm... then 2 weeks later, you're back with the same.

Sounds like a novel concept the first few times, but it won't take long before your excitement will be meaningless.

Try this...

Tell your wife "wow, honey, I think you look gorgeous today! I mean this is the most beaufitul I've seen you in a long time ... and yet you're ALWAYS beaituful. Wow!"

okay... do that today. It might just work out quite well for you tonight. ;-)

Do it tomorrow again. She'll be puzzled but might still welcome the compliment.

Do it again, day after day, for the next week. She'll stop believing you or she simply won't care. Your compliment will be nothing new, it will hold no weight.

The point... if you have something basic, don't try to build up and milk the anticipation too much. Because when you REALLY MEAN IT (when you have a big promo you want to turn into a blockbuster), your words won't mean anything.

Doesn't mean you can't run sales and promotions and fear of loss type strategies etc etc ... just playing off of anticipation for EVERYTHING will result in eventually NEVER accomplishing anticipation.

Get it live. Get it available ... but, as good marketing, give your affiliates a valid urgency reason why they should promote and give your leads an early movers reason to buy immediately.

Robert Kimsey
12-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Well said Toth

I have always felt that you need to treat your affiliates and your prospects different. Too many marketers look to their affiliates as potential buyers rather than partners in the selling process. Buyers are buyers and they probably just plan to use the products and services you provide. Affiliate partners are those that help you promote and distribute those products. Does IBM sell their computers to their sales force? Why should we treat our affiliates any different?

It's one thing to try to pump up the sales force with the old raw raw routine but most marketers are already self motivated or they wouldn't be doing what they are doing, they would have a J.O.B.. Besides if you have to motivate them perhaps you need to look for new affiliates. Work with the ones that produce. The rest will wilt on the vine.

I feel that you need to provide solid information, product support, and most of all a top notch product. Your affiliates will kick butt for you and stay with you forever if you give them all the help and support you can. Be honest and upfront with them and they will do their part for sure.

Just a comment from a new member but an old marketer.

Bob Kimsey
The Vhiper Network

RyanMoran
01-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Great post and great comparison to complimenting the wife.

This is especially true in niche markets - in the IM market, people are always being pitched, but things get way easier when you niche them out.

I also don't recommend launching your first product - launch high ticket stuff that completes your funnel.