PDA

View Full Version : Don't just use and ignore your affiliates

Rob Toth
11-20-2009, 11:55 PM
If you're still a one-man army or otherwise small team and you don't have an Affiliate Manager, then that's one of the hats you need to remember to wear.

And one thing the affiliate manager should be making sure of is effective communication with the affiliates... but that means even AFTER the launch.

It's too common that the affiliate manager (or product developer acting as an aff-man) will rally the troops and get a lot of rah-rah out there prior to launch.. maybe even send a couple of leaders board updates, but 3 days later... it's like a ghost-town.

No further communication.

That's a BIG mistake.

1) You have a team of excited affiliates! It's like a lit fire. What the hell are thinking walking away from it! Feed it.
2) Even if the promo is done, if you just ignore the affiliates... they have no idea of how they'll benefit from their leads that are now in your funnel, when they can expect commissions or prizes, whether they should still keep promoting (or if you're about to close the offer), what new products you have in the pipeline so they can get aligned with it, etc.

Don't just use them and then ignore them.

Build a followup process for them... a training, a tip, a motivational piece, a survey (find out what their experience with your products have been), a case study of results from another affiliate... send them something every 1-2 weeks just so they know you still exist.

While I try to take care of all groups (buyers, leads, affiliates), I personally view the affiliate partners on a higher pedestal than all 3 of the others. Again, yes I want to service and impress each group... but my affiliates often make up over 70% of all gross sales. Without THEM being happy, I wouldn't have the buyers/leads to cater to... so value your affiliate partners and COMMUNICATE with them.

Mike Merz
11-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Great post, Rob.

And, of course ... that not only applies to basic affiliates, but JV partners ... those that you not only wish to support your promotion, but actually intend on personally interacting with on a regular basis, even meeting face to face ... when able, brainstorming with, possibly even be involved in some capacity within the launch, not to mention reciprocate with ... your 'core circle' ... your 'strategic alliance' ... your 'JV network'. You work with these folks 24/7/365 ... not just when you're ramping up for a launch. If that's the only time you're contacting them ... I can assure you, you won't be in contact for very long. ;)

Cheers,

Mike

citrus
11-22-2009, 10:27 PM
And for God's sake, don't send affiliate promos to your JVs. Talk about a relationship killer...it makes you want to rip your hair out (if you've got any) and yell "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?"

Curtis