PDA

View Full Version : How To Approach JV Partners...Some Tips!

affiliaterockstarx
10-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey Everybody,

I just thought I would include some examples of email headlines
that have worked for me in regards to attracting JV partners...

If your emailing potential JV partners it's always a good idea to
think of their interests first.

An email headline you can use is:

Hey ( firstname), What can I promote for you?

That type of headline will open the doors to a reply from
your potential JV partner.

Offer to promote for them first.

If you know some of their hobbies you can say something
like...

Hey (Firstname), Have you picked up the guitar lately?

Getting your email opened and read is the first step in building
a relationship with a potential JV partner.

Hopefully you find some of these JV tips helpful.

Craig Beckta

AdamChandler
10-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Great post Craig.. As a newbie to this site I appreciate the tips!!

-Adam

citrus
10-28-2009, 12:12 AM
Hey Craig,

Good tips...another one that works very well is:

"Hey [name], I sold XX copies of [product]"

Curtis

Howard Young
10-28-2009, 05:08 PM
I agree... doing something for someone else (or, at least offering to) is a great way to get your foot in the door.

Reciprocity will come in time, so don't be surprised if you wind up on the receiving end of a JV request as a result of your efforts.

Howard

Iain Ellvers
11-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Another good point that I see you already do Craig
is to keep your sentences down to 65 characters only
per line.

it certainly makes reading a lot easier and with an
occasional CAPITALISATION you can improve the appeal
of any e-mail communication.

All the best

iain

Rob Toth
11-09-2009, 11:39 PM
And definitely a fan favorite:

"Hi [X], I'm a customer of [PRODUCT]"

Also ... develop a summary pitch. Sure it would be great if they could check out your aff pitch page and get the FULL story, but they likely won't make the time. (I rarely do). Summarize it.

And talk of win-win-win. Namely what do their subscribers get and what do THEY get and what would they need to do in trade...

Also, a solo mailing may not be an optino, but a banner rotation in their membership, a banner on a thank you page, several facebook status mentions, a few tweets, a blog post, etc... any of that should be welcomed exposure (especially if you then leverage that to land other JVs.

Lovina
11-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Hi

Craig, that is a great tips for me. Well, we are all here will look for JV partner at the end right, and your tips is very useful. I kept thinking what kind of subject line that will attract the potential partner, and I got it today.

Thanks

MichelleC
11-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Great tips.

I have been spending a couple of days emailing folk to partner up with me and feel that some of the tips mentioned here will help my conversion rate.

Why did I not find this site earlier!

Michelle

stiqan
11-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Hey nice tips Craig!

How's the launch for SBC 2.0 going?

See you got some emails from some friends =)

We met at Mass Control 2.0 this year...

Do you Skype?

Add me, stiqan

Let's talk, I think we can help each other out.

- Chris

thinkbig
11-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Yes--great approaches. Bottom line is Internet marketing is no different than anything else in life--it's all about RELATIONSHIPS. Initiate and nurture relationships with others and you will succeed beyond your imagination. Don't get hung up with tactics...

-Brett

Jeffrey Dean
12-08-2009, 02:20 PM
thinkbig captured what craig was getting at.

twitter is actually a good way to get to know many of the bigger JVers

remember its all about developing relationships - giving before receiving.

Matt Wolfe
12-17-2009, 04:56 AM
One e-mail headline that I have used with great success is

"Hey [firstname], personal JV invite (Please Do Not Share)"

For some reason, that e-mail gets people to open every time.
And then my sincerity in the e-mail gets them to reply :)

These are some great tips in this thread. Proving that you are
a customer or a fan of their work is an amazing way to grab
their attention as well!

Matt

ianternet
12-27-2009, 04:03 PM
I have an internet doing this form me, but the return rate is pretty low. I try to establish a relationship first and then slowly dip it in or mention it.

Paul Morris
12-29-2009, 01:12 PM
And definitely a fan favorite:

"Hi [X], I'm a customer of [PRODUCT]"

Also ... develop a summary pitch. Sure it would be great if they could check out your aff pitch page and get the FULL story, but they likely won't make the time. (I rarely do). Summarize it.

And talk of win-win-win. Namely what do their subscribers get and what do THEY get and what would they need to do in trade...

Also, a solo mailing may not be an optino, but a banner rotation in their membership, a banner on a thank you page, several facebook status mentions, a few tweets, a blog post, etc... any of that should be welcomed exposure (especially if you then leverage that to land other JVs.

Hi Rob

What would you rank as the most common form of JV ..banners on the thankyou page?..

regards Paul

Mark Tinger
12-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Very Good Tip!

It beats: "Would you like to be involved in a $400 Mill market in 2010 on 50%+?"

(BTW, that will be my line.....)

You are right.... It has to be first impression... If you can't create an interest - or indeed be cheeky 8) ,

you should read about "people" before you try "selling" - no matter what the gurus say.

But there is always "copy" ;)

substantial-success
12-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Great post Craig, let me put that into practice.

David Rummel
01-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Somehow I strongly feel I need to ask this one question instead of just wondering silently:

Do you guys never use the Phone anymore?

It seems to me, all you do is being "lazy" (no offence, just in lack of a better word), firing an email and hoping. Don't get me wrong, email has its uses, of course. But for me, nothing has worked better than Phone in the past (snail mail upfront if needed).

I know Mike does use the phone, just look at his Profile-Picture ;) (you do that for a reason Mike, right? So do I..)

Just wondering if this is just my perception or rather factual..

Happy New Year everybody,

David

Antony Le
01-04-2010, 05:57 PM
What Curtis Ng said...

Easiest way to get noticed and get on a potential JV's radar is exactly what curtis said.

Mark Baybayan
01-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Just wanted to thank you guys for this thread as it provides great tips and insights for us newbies.

Mark

CharlesKidd
01-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Yea that is the way to do it. I already use this technique.

Ty Hall
01-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Great tips guys!

Best,

- Ty Hall

Bill Ross
01-14-2010, 03:52 PM
One e-mail headline that I have used with great success is

"Hey [firstname], personal JV invite (Please Do Not Share)"

For some reason, that e-mail gets people to open every time.
And then my sincerity in the e-mail gets them to reply :)

These are some great tips in this thread. Proving that you are
a customer or a fan of their work is an amazing way to grab
their attention as well!

Matt

Yep I have to agree that headline does work well!

Bill

RyanMoran
01-14-2010, 04:44 PM
I've never had success getting JVs when using the traditional approach, so I always use reciprocity. I go and become somebody's #1 affiliate or promote the heck out of them for a week, and that gets me onto their radar screen. Oftentimes they contact me with a, "Hey thanks, what the heck are you doing - it's working well!"

When they contact me first, that's a good sign.

Use the reciprocity, and they'll not only feel like they "owe" you a JV, but they'll be excited about it.

NYC
01-23-2010, 07:23 PM
There are many ways to find JV partners, especially online. These days, many people can be found online and on many popular websites/forums. When you look for a JV, make sure the other person won't screw you over nor have a bad reputation. After working with the person, main thing to keep in mind with is learning. You may lose money or friendship but knowledge will always stay with you from any experience you come across in life.

Vegas Vince
01-24-2010, 09:26 AM
My copywriter Brian McLeod calls my "cherry picked" 100% approach to scoring big time JV's the......

"You're gonna mail for me Mr. JV...you just don't know it yet."

He's probably right....and for what ever reason....I have yet to be turned down by one Joint Venture partner yet....for the one and only product I have out.

Perhaps because I only have one product...and it's that damn good....sales copy included.

Figure it will be my only product too....unless I get real smart about something other then exploiting the barter world...and that aint likely.

To me...it's a mind set.

It's confidence in knowing that what you have created is absolutely the best it can be....and the best period.

It's knowing that I put my heart and soul into my one and only project....because I had nothing else to offer....if it flopped.

No upsells, no gimmicks, no fine print....and a $297 price tag....split 50/50 via RAP.

Truth is....I was never taught that it was difficult to score JV partners....because I never really considered myself an information marketer. So I never feel into what's considered "the proper way to approach JV's." I'm glad....I never read those cheesy ebooks about it either.

Maybe that's why I've done as well as I've done in the past few weeks in terms of scoring some pretty decent names to push a product by a guy not known outside of the warrior forum....and my radio show.

Granted I have little use for most information marketers.....

I always figured there was a major credibility problem with those who critique and write about stuff they them selves are either clueless about or things they themselves have never done.

I practice what I preach...and it comes across....in terms of credibility.

Because I have enough faith in my product to know that I don't have to approach ANYONE LIKE SOME FRIGGIN' VICTIM who begs, whines, and kisses ass---for some "guru" to push it.

I set out with three names on my list once my "Barter Arbitrage" product was finally complete.

It was mailed yesterday. I am rather over joyed with the numbers after one day. 8% cent conversion rate.....and even a dummy like me knows that aint half bad.

I picked out three guys in advance based on the quality of stuff they sold, their repuations for delivering consistent quality, the size of their list, and the fact their products were ones I knew inside and out...and they meshed well with mine.

I basically told them that they would be promoting this product of mine whether they new it or not.....and I even discussed them by name on my BlogTalk Radio show Sales and Marketing Behind the 8-Ball.

Funny thing is.....they all did.

In the end.....

JAMES J. JONES.....IN.

ALLEN SAYS......AND DUDE EVEN GAVE ME A PRIVATE SECTION ON HIS WARRIOR FORUM TO TEACH MY BARTER STRATEGIES....SOMETHING HE HAD ONLY DONE ONCE BEFORE IN THE HISTORY OF THE FORUM.

And finally.....the Legendary Marketer....JF JIM STRAW.

Jim's reputation, and legacy pretty much speaks for itself. He remains one of the most respected marketers of ALL time. Period.

He doesn't mess around endorsing "junk"...he's got all the money he can spend..and his reputation means something to him. Same goes for Allen Says and James J Jones.

So yeah..it's an honor. But it wasn't hard...to pull off. Create greatness...show them the money....and tell them to mail the damn thing!

With guys like that.....I don't have to beg anyone to mail my product this week.......because I can just drop names....and now JV's come to me.

I guess it comes down to truly believing what you have really works.....and believing in yourself. Treat JV's with respect for sure....but not like GOD.....or you will lose your personal power, self respect...and more often then not.... look like a clueless newbie....a victim.

Nobody wants to deal with those types....no matter how good their stuff may or may not be.

Figure I like the style of this dude named Rob the genie Toth. He might be next on my list.....because he'll make us both even more money.

In anycase.....have faith in what you produce. If it's half-assed and even you don't really believe in it......pretty hard to get someone else to gamble on it.

xxx Vegas Vince

p.s. Rob Toth.....you are next brother. I like your stuff. I'll be in touch.

jimproser
02-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Hey thanks, good tip. How can we get in touch? Saw your sight, are you available for JV opportunities?

Jim Proser

Michael McMillan
02-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the great tips Craig!

Another thing you can do is to visit the sales pages for the big product vendors and super-affiliates in your niche and subscribe to their lists. If they use aWeber or a number of other auto-responders, they are required to include a physical mailing address at the bottom of every email they send to their list.

Set up a database with their names and email addresses. Create a brochure describing your product and give it a stunning headline. Give the specs of your product and the URL to your affiliate page.

You might also include a short handwritten note. Mention ANY connections you may have with them. Have you promoted their stuff? Include URLs for review pages you have for their products. Include articles (URLs) you have submitted reviewing their products. Give the URLs for any videos you have posted promoting their stuff. If you've got a blog and have mentioned them or have links to their sales pages mention that. If you can convince them that your have tried to promote their products in earnest--even if you haven't sold a ton of them--they are much more likely to consider helping you out.

You can use regular snail mail, or--for the bigger guys you can use Express Mail or even FedEx. Sure, it costs a bit but even one big guy can make a huge difference. For what I call lower tier affiliates--guys without huge lists but who create pre-sell or review pages in your niche, you can create postcards announcing your launch and links to your affiliate page.

--Mike

Neil Cook
02-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Some great tips in here, nice to see when people are prepared to share their knowledge and experience so we can all move up the ladder.

I like to think of it as that old (ish) "six degrees of separation" or was that "six degrees of Kevin Bacon"?

You know how it's supposed to work, you can get to just about anybody by going through less than six people?

You just need to find the right path, sounds easy so I'd best get back to making it work!

Now where's that reply from Ryan Moran I saw earlier, if that's the real RM, I think he's been around some of the BIG GUNS!

Onwards & Upwards ;)

BrandonFredrickson
02-22-2010, 07:28 AM
One mistake that I see a lot of people making is that they approach potential JV partners as though they are simply affiliates looking to make an affiliate commission. This is of course sometimes the case, but if your looking at A and B tier players they do not think of themselves as affiliates, and although your commission check is nice, it's not likely to be a huge reason for them to mail for you. They want to see that there is a strategic relationship that can be formed with someone, and so you should show them this.

Becky jenkins
02-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks for all the information here about jv's. I have been taking some training with Chris Freville, he has done numerous jv's and new product launches and been very successful and one of his key messages is build relationships with other marketers. I recently did a jv with a very successful marketer and it went very well and it seems to be a great way to do business. My thoughts would be to find a unique way to ask the marketer if they would consider doing a jv with you, perhaps send them a video with a personal request, send them somthing in a package which they need to sign for, now that certainly gets their interest, they can't resist looking inside and seeing who its from.

Dean Holland
02-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Hi

Definately works !!

As a newbie starting out it always was hard to get others attention to back you

Give them a reason to back you, such as you have sold for them or what can you offer them as an incentive?

Think outside the box :)

Good post!

Dean

Sean Leone
02-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks Craig and everyone else for these tips. Good info.

Josh Wuerfel
03-10-2010, 12:41 PM
When Launching your first Product with JV support, is it best to offer a competition for the 1st month with prizes?

And if so, what prizes do people like the best?

Thanks

Josh

Bill Davison
03-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Thanks everyone!

These are some great ideas!

Think I might try something like "What is it I do for YOU?"

Michael Larkin
03-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Wow! This is very exciting information. Thanks Craig for starting it up. I have had success by getting in touch with the "gatekeeper" if there is one, first. We need to remember that owners' of huge lists in your niche are being approached by every, Tom, Dick & Harry. So, research to find out who the gatekeeper is & if they would be willing to have you follow up on the FedEx you are about to send his or her boss in their care. Inside the package you might include a small thank you gift. When you call you have already have established a relationship with the most important person to the list owner's business. It's different and will get the attention you need to get the relationship on the right track. The confidence you have in how good your product is or is not will be sniffed out. If your product or offer is as spectacular as you know it is, there will be not problems achieving a win for them, a win for all that will become involved and a win for you.

Orlando Cassara
03-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks Craig,

This is some very exciting information for being a newbie, it really has helped me off to a good start.

Keep up the good work.

Kunj K
03-24-2010, 01:06 PM
I like the "... what can I promote for you?" approach, that's sure to get noticed...

David Sigouin
03-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Hehe looks like a good one: Hey ( firstname), What can I promote for you?

I'll try it out.

Thanks ;)

Tom Wetherald
04-23-2010, 06:52 PM
A very exciting post, nice to have people here that share their knowledge and experience's.

Craig you and everyone else tossed out great information here for all that will, become successful marketers.
I'm glad you all love helping others to become successful.
It's greatly appreciated.

I hope you have a healthy day.

Tom

Dan B
04-25-2010, 01:44 PM
This is a very informative thread!!

I am in the early stages of recruiting JV partners for an upcoming launch / sale in the summer and so far I have been trying a shotgun approach of ocmpiling facts about our program, conversion stats, popular products, reasons to work with us, affiliate program features... it's probably a bit overkill for a first email in retrospect :)

I will try a softer approach of just saying hi, letting people know there will be a JV in the future and we can give them exposure in return and checking their interest I think and see if there is a better response :)

I'm generally finding it pretty difficult to even get any response from a most people though - clickbank vendors are pretty hard to get hold of it seems, well, in my self help niche so far anyway..

Aira
04-27-2010, 04:59 AM
Wow Craig. This is a really great post. I guess the most common error for online marketers is that they think they have to be great first before other people will do things for them. What they don't know is that it all starts with helping other people.

Karma is great. The more people you help, the more you will get back. It all starts with focusing more on other people and less on yourself.

trafficaddict
04-28-2010, 02:20 AM
On a side note...

If you are offering to promote them... you include your list size, and past results from your previous
promotions in the e-mail.

This really helps seal the deal in my experience.

Gary Gregory
05-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Some VERY good information within this thread. I can already tell that this forum is outstanding!

I was an executive sales trainer offline for almost 20 years and you are all 100% correct when you say that the relationships you build with people are absolutely the MOST important thing, period!

At the end of the day it ALWAYS comes down to the personal relationships. Smart marketers understand this and those that don't, be warned. Any legitimate long term business (online or otherwise), MUST remember that people are people, and have to be treated with respect, sincerity and good service.

When you approach JV partners (fellow human beings) with this mindset, you will be golden.

Alminc
05-05-2010, 11:43 AM
This is very useful thread, many different angles discussed.

I am not experienced in doing joint ventures (will soon try my luck though),
and for me threads like this one is like a university.

What I feel should also be said is that not only guru needs to be approached
with big respect but also a good JV broker. These two are on the same level,
so it wouldn't hurt to 'bribe' a JV broker to work for you in the same way as you
bribe the guru. Why not give to JV broker something that he's usually not getting
from other clients? Just a thougt...

Almin

Rob Canyon
05-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Craig,

Excellent post... How's this for a email subject line to a potential JV partner.

subject line = "?? did you send me this re: launch assistance reqd... pls & thx"

body = {firstname}, Here's the details re:
my 50/50 commissionable $1997 product that
goes into prelaunch today.

http://www.sefogo.com/jvnotifypro

It would be great to have you on board.

Rob
skype id = irtgr8

p.s. off to the Dodgers game tonight... lets skype tomorrow... k

jayneeldaxini
05-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Great tips. One thing I learned is that when you are approaching them don't only think about yourself. Put yourself in their shoes. What would make you want to JV with them? When you approach a potential JV partner, they are thinking about themselves. They are thinking "What's in it for me?". Everyone these days are screaming "Promote my product and I'll give you xx% commission". Although that does still work but not always because that way you have a lot of competition. So you need to stand out from the rest and offer them something that others are not doing.

Just my 2 cents.
Jayneel D

tamilseo
05-22-2010, 09:57 PM
thanks for great tips Craig

KevinRiley
05-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Myself, I like a subject line that doesn't waste my time. Respect that and you have a much better chance. Don't get tricky, or I'll nuke it without even looking.

A subject line that tells me this is a JV invite and what it is for will get read, especially if it is from someone I know.

However, much, much better is if you take the time to contact me via Skype or phone. That will get my attention.

In fact, Louviere did it right the other day. He chatted me up at Friday Night Chat and called my attention to an e-mail he was sending me. then, we got on Skype.

Damian Kitchen
05-28-2010, 04:29 PM
cracking information everyone. this is very useful to a newbie like me ::)

thx everyone

citrus
05-28-2010, 09:37 PM
See Kevin, you're different in a couple (good) ways:

1 - you make yourself contactable. Some people hide behind "no-reply" email addresses and/or helpdesks.

2 - you actually read your emails AND pay attention to JV invites. I'm sure you get a billion of those each day :P For most people of your stature, a JV invite, no matter how to-the-point the subject line is, would almost certainly be ignored (unless it's from someone they know).

Unfortunately, what works to get your attention usually doesn't work on other experts and top marketers. Would be nice though, wouldn't it? ;)

Myself, I like a subject line that doesn't waste my time. Respect that and you have a much better chance. Don't get tricky, or I'll nuke it without even looking.

A subject line that tells me this is a JV invite and what it is for will get read, especially if it is from someone I know.

However, much, much better is if you take the time to contact me via Skype or phone. That will get my attention.

In fact, Louviere did it right the other day. He chatted me up at Friday Night Chat and called my attention to an e-mail he was sending me. then, we got on Skype.

Kaiser Nabola
06-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Hi Craig,

Your tips are second to none. I have been in this community for a while now and I have enjoyed every post I read. You guys are doing a fantastic job here. Its a great community to learn how to be successful online.

I have never jv before however, this post has given me a clearer picture if I have to jv in the future. I wish everyone in this great community success. Dan I just wanted to say I am a clickbank vendor in case you need someone to talk to.

Talk to you all soon

Kaiser

abbesnetwork
08-09-2010, 02:53 PM
I subscribe to this. Best method ever.

Somehow I strongly feel I need to ask this one question instead of just wondering silently:

Do you guys never use the Phone anymore?

It seems to me, all you do is being "lazy" (no offence, just in lack of a better word), firing an email and hoping. Don't get me wrong, email has its uses, of course. But for me, nothing has worked better than Phone in the past (snail mail upfront if needed).

I know Mike does use the phone, just look at his Profile-Picture ;) (you do that for a reason Mike, right? So do I..)

Just wondering if this is just my perception or rather factual..

Happy New Year everybody,

David

Dwayne Jones
08-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Most Big JV partners wont even consider it unless the product has a good EPC (earnings per click)
A good EPC is $2.00 or more.

steve adams
08-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Having a subject or headline including what size list you have appeals to most everyone too.

Jermaine Walker
08-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Be confident...
Have a good WIFM (whats in it for me)...
Always have a good enough product that is worth their time...
Try postcards or calling... emailing barely goes to them directly!!!
There's a few for you!