PDA

View Full Version : Do you say "I" or "we" when talking about your company

Rob Toth
10-21-2009, 12:44 AM
When you reference your company/operations... do you say I or we?

Most in this forum likely aren't working from large offices with a staff of 30. Neither am I. So how do you refer to your company?

I tend to automatically go with "we" in just about every discussion... back when I was clueless/new I forced myself to do this at times so that I'd sound "bigger".

Sure. There is that.

But, these days, it's not about wanted to seem "big" ... it's not about trying to have people think that I'm sitting in a high rise, in an office where my desk alone is worth $40,000 with staff buzzing around at my call...

No, these days I tend to automatically go with "we" because I envision every part of the business as a group or team effort.

I mean, I have numerous sub-contractors/freelancers I turn to on a weekly basis, I have virtual assistants (FT and PT), I have my peers/mastermind group I run things by, I have various joint ventured partners etc etc .. but even without all that, if I was getting started again knowing what I know now, I'd still treat every step as a potential team effort.

Which expert can I bring in for this step? What can I outsource in this step? How can I leverage someone else's time to move through this cheaper and quicker? Who can I bring in for input/critique? What company or individual can I setup a creative JV with to make this go more smoothly and as a win-win?

And because of THAT new mindset, it's never just me or I...

Garland Coulson
10-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi Rob,

Like you, I have an outsourced team that includes a programmer, support team, and an affiliate income manager.

Back when I used to work with large companies, I might have used "we" to sound bigger, but now I usually use I since I work with other entrepreneurs.

Much more fun that working with big companies with all the bureaucracy!

smplylvn
10-23-2009, 08:57 PM
This is great info. Being a newbie and working on creating content I was just wondering this the other day. I was writing a bio about myself and could not figure out how to tackle this. I went with "we" but really it is just my wife and me so maybe on that particular bio I will go back and change it up.

Thanks for the post!

Linda Brown
10-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks for such information, cause actually i also have such dilema currently.
At this moment, i prefer to use "we".

Russell Lowrey
10-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I like to use "I" it is more personal and genuine.

When you you use "we" it is less personal and might seem like It would take more
than one person to make decisions.

Brittany Lynch
12-03-2009, 10:21 AM
I ALWAYS use "we" whenever I'm talking about my company or anyone that I partner or work with (regardless if its my idea or my..whatever). I think its one of the reasons why people enjoy working with me, it makes the other person feel personally involved in the project and this in turns increases the liklihood that they will want the product or whatever it is I am working on to succeed. It aligns you with them. This is just what I have found. I also found that when I worked at Google even though I was the youngest person in the office whenever I used the word 'we' it made me seem like a team player and as a result was brought into the inner circle of the office, made friends faster, developed better connections. Its a bit hard to explain but I always use we.

Jeffrey Dean
12-04-2009, 11:27 AM
this isn't something set in stone ie you have to use "we" or "I"

The choice all depends on your final goal.

I would recommend "we" but then actually have "we" - which you do with all the outsourced labor you have.

Its part of a mindset like Brittany was alluding to. It helps you internalize that you are going to be growing as a company.

I know that when I advise people in raising money for their small to medium sized business, how you position yourself makes all the difference in actually getting the money.

J Dowden
12-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi

It matters not whether you are a one-man/woman company director or part of a large organisation - a company is made up of three parts: the company (a separate entity in its own right), the shareholder(s) and director(s).

"We" would be appropriate when referring to the company.

However, if you are referring to specific actions that you, as director/employee/shareholder, have taken, then "I" would be perfectly appropriate.

If you are self-employed and a sole trader, then "I" would be the correct term to use.

But, as will most things, there are "grey" areas when one or other term would be perfectly suitable.

Jamie

thinkbig
12-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Another thing to consider here is branding. You want to promote a consistent image so people get to know you or your company. If you want to be a household name personally, go with "I" and put your name on everything you do. If you prefer a company name, go with that and use "we"

-Brett

A Afaneh
01-13-2010, 01:22 PM
i know it is an old thread but i have to say I agree with Brett

you should consider branding.

Bill Ross
01-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Couldn't agree more. I could never get anything done myself without the help of all the people around me and not employed by me!

Bill

RyanMoran
01-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Great discussion.

I always say "I" because I have built my company around my name and my own brand... and you know what? I kinda regret. It's not a sellable business model. For that reason, I recommend using 'we' unless working with JVs that know me on a personal basis.

Becky jenkins
01-14-2010, 04:54 AM
This is an interesting question, and one which i havent considered before. Maybe its a case of understanding your audience first and then considering which approach would best suit. Perhaps the answer is mix and match and use 'I' or 'we' according to what is best fit for the audience. This makes it flexible and over time you will know which is right for you.

Becky

Robert Kimsey
01-16-2010, 12:59 AM
After reading some of the replies here I have to say a few of you have nailed it when you say "WE". I have a fairly large staff of incredible people and without them I could have never developed or maintained our network. These people work tirelessly and put in more than I could ever ask of them. The old saying, and I think it is pretty goofy, but it is so true..."There is no I in team". I personally have been responsible for many of the things my company has accomplished but I still refer to all of it as "We" have accomplished! We have a great team and a great company because of them!

The only thing "I" am allowed to do is rant on and on now and then.

Bob Kimsey
The Vhiper Network

Rob Toth
01-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Bob, I agree entirely.

To me it's nearly always we ... my service providers, my JV partners, my affiliates, my mastermind, my staff, my whatever are always thought of as part of the bigger picture of making it all happen. So it's always we.

Nor do I want to be seen as a solo-hero as "sure thing, *I* can take care of that for you".

NYC
01-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Always say "we". It makes you look more professional and also when saying I, it makes you sound very vulnerable to bad things .. Including lawsuits etc..

When you own a business and you say we, the other party will usually not take advantage of you because they don't know who else you are referring to (lawyers etc..).

tajinder
06-06-2010, 03:27 PM
when i started creating my own videos at first i had this problem.i was thinking whether to use "I" or "we".i tested different terms in different videos.and i noticed that when i use "I" it tends to sound more formal teaching or the formal way of speaking to your audiences.it feels like as thought you are a school teacher teaching your students.

and when i use "we" it sounded more friendly and warmer towards the audiences and listeners.and it also build the relationship with them because when the word "we" is used it is showing more than 1 people are involved in the process,so it is like holding them by their shoulder and teach them as though like you are really standing beside them to walk hand to hand in teaching your knowledge and skills to them.