PDA

View Full Version : Wanna be a great magician? Study "underground" magicians

Rob Toth
10-02-2009, 03:38 PM
I keep tabs of what the mainstream guys do.. but my real learning and spying is on the no-name, underground and different industry marketers.

Think of it this way...

The internet marketing niche's "gurus" (ie: the well branded, house-hold name guys and gals) throw out a latest software, a latest technique or latest strategy.

Sure it's great. And helpful. And you may certainly want to adapt it.

But if you want any real chance to reaching (and even EXCEEDING) their success, then don't just jump on what is being pushed into the mainstream.

That would be like attending a seminar for magicians, having a lead "guru" magician present his tricks and explain to every other magician how he did it. Yes, that's all well and good... but soon that magic trick will be saturated and tired-out.

If you really want to impress, if you really want to draw in a crowd... either develop your own tricks or creatively adapt from related niche experts and the "underground" experts who aren't dishing out their best tricks just for the sake of info-product profits.

Mike Carraway
10-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi Rob,

Totally agree with your post. You don't sell try to sell Ginsu Knives when everyone else is already selling them IF you want a big hit. While it's possible to garner a few sales, it won't ever be a home run for you.

Question: where does one find the "underground" magicians?

???

I'm sure everyone here would appreciate some direction on that one.
Mike C

Rob Toth
10-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Mike... great question...

Unfortunately, I don't have any words of wisdom other than to harp on the value of networking with your peers and those further ahead of you (the experts) in your field *AND* in related fields.

So don't just stick with "online information marketers" (the aka "internet marketing" crowd)... but instead explore the sites, check out the heavy hitters, join the mailing lists of other internet marketers that aren't in the info-market space, or other info marketers that operate primarily offline.

Probably all of my "undergound magicians" that I follow came from referrals and networking. (Soft-sell Alert: so make sure you come out to my Canada Marketing Summit in May 2010!! great networking opp).

actually this other suggestion is also a somewhat self-serving (but valid) one... I have no problems telling my subscribers how I operate, who I study, etc. And I already have an article planned that I'll mail out to them re: my own undergound and other experts I follow. Of course, this is just MY personal pick of who I choose to listen to and follow (at least 2 names are "no names" in the internet marketing space but geniuses and fast results producers).

anyways... I guess networking. You'll meet the up and comers or you'll hear about them through your peers. Check out their work, watch how they market (is it same old same old). Are they producing big proven results? Are they innovators? Do they bring charisma and value to what they do? Are they long term visionary types vs. "quick money project" types? Are they building a long term business and brand (regardless of niche) or just money-sites. etc