PDA

View Full Version : Bigger than Money

Rob Toth
10-01-2009, 01:22 PM
So what's your reason for wanting the big launch? The successful company?

You want the money, right?

Great. I love money. It's a fantastic tool. It allows you to live big.

But... at some point... "the grand scheme of things" ends of revolving around much more than just the money. Afterall, the pursuit of money to most people (and certainly to me) is to provide myself, my family, my friends etc with as much that life can offer as possible not just for the sake of having a stuffed bank account.

Here's my point. This little mini rant came from a conversation I had with a top affiliate / direct marketer. He has a healthy 7-figures in liquid cash assets, a very popular name with the big boys and therefore an opportunity to pull in millions and millions more each year he wants.

Let's just say he has "the money" subject nailed down.

But... after 9 years of building online and becoming the absolute all-star marketer he is now, his health was put on the back-burner and his social life ignored. He's now constantly seeking out friends to hang out with, has been ready to be married for years now, has a tough time bonding with others (other than with shop talk) and is overweight.

That's not a balanced life. And regardless of his financial success, the above is not something I strive for.

During a conversation, he commented on a friend I introduced him to... this friend works in the UK with some big name bands. to be honest, I hardly know what he does. Music mixing, music production?? He's behind the scenes though and often sitting down in the studio (or driving to and from the airport) with some very very high profile rock stars. His absolute #1 passion is also music, go figure.

His earnings with that job are paltry. $45,000-ish per year.

My financially-successful friend commented on this and was suggesting that my other friend look at something that will pay him bigger dollars.

I politely clarified that this particular friend woke up with 100% enthusiasm every day because he absolutely loves his job, enjoys every aspect of his career, has an amazing and thriving social circle, etc, etc. THAT is something that this 7-figure friend hasn't been able to achieve for himself and yet now craves.

Again, I'll state that I love money and encourage everyone to achieve as much financial success as they can (or they choose!) ... but take note that there are much bigger pursuits out there other than money.

There was a time, just 2 years ago when I became jealous and frustrated when I heard stories of 8-figure and 9-figure successes as I knew that I could/should be attaining those numbers. Today, my perspective has matured. I've achieved plenty financially and will continue to do more simply because I enjoy my work... but the other areas of my life are VERY abundant. To me, that balance is BIGGER than just the money.

Mike Carraway
10-01-2009, 07:02 PM
The money is good BUT to me - it's all about the challenge. I like putting together things that help other people and are very successfull products.

euhlir
10-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Rob, your post couldn't have been written better.

It really got me thinking about my own life balance and the things I need to work on improving in my own life. I couldn't agree more with your views and the awesome examples you gave.

-Eric

Tim Wright
10-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Well said, Rob. I think we all agree that money is very important, but like you said, it is just a "tool." I think that what all of us are really after is what the money can do to improve our lives. The freedom to do things and have things and be able to help in ways that we wouldn't otherwise be able to.

It's your LIFE that is important.

Thanks for reminding us!

Tim

citrus
10-02-2009, 11:27 PM
We all know people are like that. I have friends who placed heavy emphasis on their academics and don't have many other friends. On the flip side, I know people that place more emphasis on their social lives and, frankly, I think they've got a lot of empty space upstairs.

I admit - I neglect my social life and my studies to pursue my current goal which is to create a successful online business. THat's just part of who I am though - I keep to myself and don't even talk to my friends much. I just hope I won't keep this up for too long...or else I'll wake up really old and wrinkly one day and wonder what happened.

Thanks for the great post, Rob. IMO, if you're doing this just for the money, then you're doomed to fail. Even if you do somehow succeed, you'll never truly be happy with what you've accomplished. On the other hand, doing it for your family and to help others will reap massive rewards.

Curtis

Business39
10-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Well it's very important that you stay in touch with the "outside" world..

I know people who work forever 24/7 and it's not very healthy
Always make sure you have time for family and friends, :)

Andy Havens
10-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi Rob,

Dare I say it? Right on the money!

A similar oft quoted statement "No one ever said on their deathbed - I wish I'd spent more time at the office."

I spend far too much time at my desk right now, but not because I'm getting rich (I'm not) but because I really love what I'm doing. And if I stop liking it, I'll go do something else. I'd much rather be poor and doing something I want to do than swimming in cash and too miserable to spend it.

Thanks for the reminder.

Andy

Rob Toth
10-06-2009, 09:29 PM
"No one ever said on their deathbed - I wish I'd spent more time at the office."

Ha! Oh that's great. :D

Greg Jacobs
10-08-2009, 01:19 AM
this subject can be deeply approached from many levels.

I may look at money or financial wealth as one of the seven masteries of life..

a great man once said "if you cant even handle your own personal finances, the mudane things of the earth, then what business do you even have contemplating greater truths"

the fact of the matter is that money should be mastered so it is there as required and then we can begin the real Work. (which to our surprise was already begun in the process of creating that forsaid money)

so the end of the story is anybody that says you can't have lots of money and be happy is speaking hogwash andits ridiculous to say that money equates happiness as these are generally measured on completely different scales, meaning they are completely neutral events that occur independently of one another.

specifically regarding your miserable friend.. maybe have him take a look at how exactly "how" he acquires his monies. Does he leave a trail of goodwill or a trail of something else (however legal it may be)

whatever trail teh peoples leave catches up eventually with them in subtle (or not) ways.

Rob Toth
10-09-2009, 02:09 AM
re: my friend... nah, it's all legit and his partners and customers love him. The trouble is the same as illustrated in the movie 'Click"... in the pursuit of building his empire and diving into the skillset that he's passionate about, he let his health slip and certainly his social life.

Now he's a "newbie" in those areas though a proven expert in marketing.

I believe money does buy happiness because it buys you choices... so it's not a question of whether that's a nobel persuit. I see it as almost a responsibility. But not at the cost of continually ignoring all else you that's important to you.

Greg Jacobs
10-09-2009, 09:07 AM
re: my friend... nah, it's all legit and his partners and customers love him. The trouble is the same as illustrated in the movie 'Click"... in the pursuit of building his empire and diving into the skillset that he's passionate about, he let his health slip and certainly his social life.

Now he's a "newbie" in those areas though a proven expert in marketing.

I believe money does buy happiness because it buys you choices... so it's not a question of whether that's a nobel persuit. I see it as almost a responsibility. But not at the cost of continually ignoring all else you that's important to you.

point taken.

i suppose in the 'ideal' world, our monetary and social lives would be integrated and one the same.

but of course there is always work to do on all fronts.