PDA

View Full Version : Cross List Promotions

vyking
11-03-2008, 12:26 AM
From a "Toll Gate Position"

I approach my Joint Ventures as a list broker, it's a position Bob Serling calls the toll gate position. You bring two parties together and collect a small commission as the middle man.

Summer of 2008

Just like everything else online, cross list promotions are maturing and need the same attention you give your other promotions if you want decent results. A cross list promo will be good for both parties if good practices are used for each product every time.

I’ve consulted with numerous marketers on the subject and they all agree on one thing. A list will remain responsive when you connect with your readers and provide good content. If you start pushing out promotion after promotion, you will burn out your list.

Caution:

The temptation a lot of list owners fall prey to is “Over Mailing.” If you send out pitch after pitch looking for the big paydays you’re heading for trouble. No matter how big your list is or how long people have been loyal subscribers, the moment they feel like you’re after their wallet, they will shut you down!

As a list broker, I like to encourage each partner to do a few warm up messages. That will create anticipation for the promotion and help increase readership for the campaign. Once you have given a little, you earn the right to take a little. Like Stephen Pierce says, emails sequences should be natural, like breathing in and out. This holds true for every promotion you do.

The Lazy Man’s Way

This past summer I’ve seen inadequate attention given to Cross List promotions. The tendency was to send out one promotional email to satisfy the rules of the game and then carry on with something else. Sending one email with a hard promotion is a waste of time and resources. It’s better to take a break and spend time writing something of value.

I argue that every time you look at promoting to your list, you should consider what they will appreciate getting, so you can earn the right to ask your prospects to buy something again. Doing that for your subscribers will maintain their trust in you and fill your pockets.

Yes, warming up your list for each promotion takes times and effort, but the payoff is considerable when you are seen as a reliable source of quality information. Scheduling promotions to fit your readership will be more profitable for you than taking on too much, too often. This idea fits in very well with what Gary Bencivenga said in a recent interview with Clayton Makepeace in part 3 of this interview.
http://www.makepeacetotalpackage.com/clayton-makepeace/clayton-makpeace-interviews-gary-bencivenga-part-3.html

Gary says that underselling is more effective than hype because the public has a natural resistance to hype, and tend to ignore pushy sales techniques. The soft sell is more effective for a number of reasons. People will read your content when you provide value and then offer a way to go further if the reader finds it interesting.

If you are planning a cross list promotion, take your time and build on important factors like trust & anticipation with quality content. You must earn the right to ask for the sale.

Strategic Alliance Partner
Dwain Berlin
604-464-5310