+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Selling More By Emphasizing Your Sales Copy Correctly

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up

Selling More By Emphasizing Your Sales Copy Correctly

Many times I've come across a sales letter that emphasizes on practically every single word and even differently every other sentence. Then there's the opposite with no emphasis at all. Both are very wrong, but especially the first.

By emphasizing, I'm talking about using large font, font color, underlining, bold, highlighting and so on to make the word or phrase stand out. Thing is, when everything stands out, nothing stands out.

I know of some live examples, but I don't want to embarrass anyone and get into trouble for flaming.

We'll go ahead and move on.

I had a client that had a very long sales copy... if you put it into Microsoft word, it would have been 32 pages long. When I went to work on it, I removed about 12 pages of content. Yeah, 12 pages.

I changed the headline, the addressing message, emphasized more words properly, re-arranged the flow of the content (the story line wasn't consistent and flowing very well) and finally, I tore his package apart.

Thing was, the package was already being sold for $167. No OTO. After the changes, I had him raise the price to $197. Using the same package he had, I took a couple chapters out and used them as the OTO. Aside from sales increasing for his initial product, he got a 60%+ conversion rate for an additional $47. Easy money.

He didn't have to increase traffic. He didn't have to create a new product. All he had to do was raise the price and uploaded the files I gave him. That's it.

So how can you emphasize your sales copy better?

Here are a few tips:

1) DON'T EMPHASIZE EVERYTHING!

2) First, try to make sure it's easy to read by ensuring that the width of the content area is not too wide and there's no more than 4 lines of text in a single paragraph.

3) Try to emphasize phrases in AT LEAST every other paragraph or even every 3-5 paragraphs depending on the length.

4) Make sure you use sub-headlines (I tend to call it sub-titles) that peaks their interest, not just describe the following section of content.

5) Do not over-use the sub-headlines (but don't under use it neither). My rule of thumb is to have no more than 3 sub-headlines in a single window view. The goal is, when a visitor scrolls down the page, as the sub-headline they see is about to go out of view another sub-headline is already visible.

I hope you guys get that. This helps with the slippery-slide effect for folks who just want to skim. If you have good sub-headlines, you can stop them in their tracks and get them to slow down and read everything you have to say.

6) The only exception to the rule above is when using lists. This is something you have to test. Some of the best sales letter have a bullet list of about 40-50, but there are others with maybe 10. So you just have to test that part out with your target audience.

7) In addition to that (you see how important sub-headlines are?), sub-headlines can be replaced with other supporting files such as images. So when the sub-headline is almost out of view, as long as there is another distraction, it will help keep the reader going.

Obviously, if your copy is really good, you don't have to worry about people skipping ahead, but that's just not always the case with everyone.

-----

That just about wraps it up. Hope this helps. Alright, back to work my workaholic friends!
    Best Regards,<br />Kevin Lam<br />http://texasseo.com<br />http://copywritingarchitect.com

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up

Re: Selling More By Emphasizing Your Sales Copy Correctly

Solid advice Kevin.

I found your point with the pricing completely true. I had a product that I put up for a much higher price than I originally planned. Those who bought did not ask for a single return, and I believe it comes down to a few things.

1. Making them feel like the product they bought is premium and not cheaply done.
    2. If you set the mood like your product is very exclusive and not everyone can have it, they will want it more.
    3. Solid sales copy following all the tips you mentioned and more.

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up

Re: Selling More By Emphasizing Your Sales Copy Correctly

Thanks, Eric.

Those are some solid advice as well.

For the record, I know it would sell even better at $247, but ClickBank isn't letting him reach that amount at the moment. His OTO could then be raised to $67. If he adds his new product, he could raise the price to $97 and still maintain a high conversion rate.

In some markets, it's all about presentation (emphasizing). In some markets, it's all about the words (the story). In some markets, it's all about the supporting documents (proof in images, testimonials, case studies, etc.). In some markets... it's all about EVERYTHING.

This is why we see ugly sites sell well, but also beautiful sites sell well. They're different markets, different audiences, difference responses, different results. However, they all still have the same basic principles, so we all need to learn them whether we're copywriters or just marketers.

If you're going to spend any money this year, spend it on some copywriting courses. Your investment will surely yield a high return in the future.
    Best Regards,<br />Kevin Lam<br />http://texasseo.com<br />http://copywritingarchitect.com

+ Reply to Thread