+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Your Email Copy is More Important than Your Sales Copy

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up

Why Your Email Copy is More Important than Your Sales Copy

Hey folks,

Now, I've been studying and implementing product launch techniques for some time now and I've also learned a lot of stuff -- thanks to people like Brandon Fredrickson (a member of this forum), Jeff Walker and Mike Filsaime.

I've done several launches and I recently managed a "mini" launch for one of my niche sites in the health and wellness niche and together with my business partner -- we have $500 to spend for our launch.

We spent about $200 in designs, videos and some technical stuff and I spent the rest of the $300 to pay for a great copywriter to write EMAIL autoresponder sequence for us instead of paying him to write a complete sales copy for us.

Now, we know that people are spending thousands of dollars upfront to top copywriters to write their sales copies -- but I don't find it necessary with a product launch. When we launched the health site, we've over 230 blog comments on our launch blog.

Almost all 200 of this people who left a comment are excited with our launch and guess what? We screwed up our sales copy.

Apparently, my business partner did not like the idea of overspending the initial budget of $500 -- so he wrote his own copy and I helped him to fix it. Now, both of us are not from native English countries -- so we speak and write our English differently.

To cut things short -- we screwed up our sales copy.

Our initial sales target is just 200 sales. And one day before launch day, we said to ourselves that 50 sales will just do us fine because again, WE SCREWED up our sales copy. I couldn't sleep that night because I felt like I disappointed my business partner. (It was my idea to spend $300 on an EMAIL autoresponder copywriter)

The next day, my business partner phoned me up and told me we had 189 sales on our first day.

A few of my fellow marketer friends who also jumped into the pre-launch actually told me that they agreed that we screwed up the sales copy...BADLY. But they also told me that they love our emails (that I hired someone for $300 to write) and those emails totally persuasive.

And so, after realizing this, I ran another mini re-launch -- this time, in the online dating niche. We didn't put on a sales copy and just the order button on the web page with no text, no nothing -- just the "Add to Cart" button.

From our AWeber stat, we found out that an average of 200 people are reading our emails -- and on the launch day -- we made 101 sales.

Lessons learned: Don't worry if you screwed up your sales copy. Just don't screw up your emails.

Cheers<br />-Desmond Ong

Administrator
    My Thumbs Up

Re: Why Your Email Copy is More Important than Your Sales Copy

Just goes to show you the importance of pre selling your prospects, Desmond.

Reminds me of the time Frank Kern basically slapped a couple of sentences and a payment link on a sales page to prove the power of pre selling and an effective pre launch cycle ... he sold out.

When done right, prospects can be sold before they even hit the sales page.

Of course, Frank also worked very hard on his self and product brand in addition to his Marketing before he was able to pull that off.

Cheers,

Mike

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up

Desmond - you are one of my marketing hero's and I'm not kidding!

Everyone should look at you, an 18 or 19 year old kid -and every single time I talk to you, YOUR DOING STUFF.

You heard it here first, if this guy decides he wants to stay on the 'net selling info products, he's going to become an A level player in 3 to 5 years time, period.

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up

I'm 19 years old and when I grow up, I wanna be like Desmond. LOL.

But seriously, Desmond's already making big bucks with flipping...it's just a matter of time before all the gurus start finding out about him and asking him for JV's

Back onto the topic at hand...I think this could be a completely revolutionary tactic - to skip the salesletter and sell directly with emails. Guys like Robert Plank, Lance Tamashiro, and Jason Fladlien are experts at email marketing - I'm sure they get ridiculous open rates like 200% or something like that. Their readers (me included) love them and are always really hyped every time they launch something.

Plus, Jason and Robert write their own copy, so they wouldn't have needed to hire someone anyway

Curtis
    Curtis Ng (blog) - Product Launch Manager

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Merz
    Just goes to show you the importance of pre selling your prospects, Desmond.

Yeah Mike. Even right now for most of my niche sites, what I do is set up two websites (two separated domain names) and one sells my product -- the other pre-sell my products under a pen name. This way, I don't have to worry if I screwed up my sales letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Fredrickson
    Desmond - you are one of my marketing hero's and I'm not kidding!

Everyone should look at you, an 18 or 19 year old kid -and every single time I talk to you, YOUR DOING STUFF.

You heard it here first, if this guy decides he wants to stay on the 'net selling info products, he's going to become an A level player in 3 to 5 years time, period.
    Well, it's kinda weird for people at my age to be making money online -- SERIOUSLY.

I remembered my college Accounting lecturer laughing at me in front of the whole class (about 30 - 40 people) when I told him I made 5-figure income online. Oh well...what to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Ng

Plus, Jason and Robert write their own copy, so they wouldn't have needed to hire someone anyway
    Hey Curtis, yeah my partner said the same thing to me. He told me to write the emails myself because I can be pretty good at writing weird but great headlines (or subject lines).

But somehow I decided to spend it all on a email copywriter.

Cheers.
    Cheers<br />-Desmond Ong

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up

Des..

Video...

if you need a hand with UK sales copy..
    you know where I am..

but the whole thing.. goes back to mr frosty himself.. just folly the formula..

and if you get the jvs, affiliates doing their jobs properly
    all you need up is a "Add to cart" button.

we should try that
    Always open to adding value to my customers<br /><br />------------------------------------------------------<br />Simon - WebTyrant.com - twitter.com/webtyrant

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up

Interesting post Desmong.

With all the good information you spilled here, I still can't 100% agree with you.

If you made almost 200 sales using nothing but your email campaign, if you had a professionally written sales page you would end up with 400.

Writing a selling sales page can only increase your sales. In my opinion you can't put the trash infront of your door and expect people to enter your house. As we can see there will always be some who do because they are desperate, but believe me that if they had another place to go in that case they would.

Making your front door appealing is crucial for the success of your product. Having a good autoresponder siries is important in the same level.

But thanks for all the info, I'm sure I learned new things from you. We never stop learning I guess

Mike G

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up

Thats a big fat golden nugget if I do say so myself. It really makes me think about how to do my launch. Should I just get great emails done or blow over 1k to get great sales letter copy. If you wouldn't mind spilling the beans, could I get your email writer
    Good things come to those who work for it!<br />For some free Internet Marketing info check out<br />www.web20trafficflowsystem.com<br />Its still new so I&#039;m trying to add to it while focussing on other business aspects.

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up

This is an interesting and insightful post on the power of PREselling.

And who says email marketing is dead?

Build enough rapport with your subscribers and emails can still sell like crazy!

Basic JVNP2 Partner
    My Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G Hersh
    Interesting post Desmong.

If you made almost 200 sales using nothing but your email campaign, if you had a professionally written sales page you would end up with 400.
    Hey Mike G.

First of all, like I said, WE SCREWED up! ;D We could've ended up with 0 sales but we turned the situation around with our email copies. But pre-selling is definitely more powerful than just selling through the sales copy.

That why there's product launch and something called "warming" up your email subscribers.

If I am to choose between email copy and sales copy -- I would go with email copies for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel0604
    could I get your email writer
    Hey Daniel,

My email copywriter is working non-stop for me right now. So I can't share her service with anyone else at the moment.

Cheers<br />-Desmond Ong

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast