PDA

View Full Version : for merchants who sell using PayPal

Rob Toth
01-09-2011, 05:47 PM
This is pretty well only for merchants who do some or all of their selling with PayPal.

PayPal's redesign 6 -months ago (??) now makes it less than simple for a user to figure out how to pay you by credit card without being forced to either create a new PP account or login to their existing PP account.

For the time being, I put up this quick and dirty walk through that I'm thinking of linking to (or having open in an ajax popup). I'll have my grpahics guy actually make it pretty.

But ... for PayPal merchants... thoughts?? Do you feel this helps the sales process or hinders it?

http://www.robtoth.com/howtoorder.htm

RyanShaw
01-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Hey Rob,

This is great to know. I always thought it was pretty obviously where to put in your credit card, but Paypal has made it difficult for non-paypal users.

Especially helpful outside the IM niche where people may not have Paypal.

Chris Douthit
01-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Your PayPal screen looks different from mine. Where you have "Create a PayPal Account" in bold letters. I have "Pay with debit or credit card" in bold letters. On my screen its pretty easy to understand without help.

Rob Toth
01-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Got a response from PayPal...

What you see is actually geographic dependend and currency (for the offer) dependent.

Turns out the above is what a CDN currency product shows or only for Canadians??

Still haven't figured it out yet. Kind of annoying.. but yes if you're a US merchant and your visitor is a US visitor and your offer is in USD funds, then it is indeed still simple enough to pay with Credit Card.

DavidWalsh
01-14-2011, 01:21 PM
The interface is pretty much what I get in the UK too, no matter the currency.

I did have the old interface happen on a payment a few weeks ago, but now it's all this new interface that I'm getting.

David
--

Austin Hilton
01-15-2011, 03:20 PM
I have to say that I did not like the new redesign. So much so, for my next product I am not releasing it on Paypal.

Now, another reason that I am not using Paypal (even though I would like to) is because Paypal in the past has come in messed with my account (held my funds, etc). And, no - I was not doing anything that was even remotely shady.

Austin

Rob Toth
01-15-2011, 06:30 PM
I've had my account suspended twice with PayPal (funds frozen etc)...

But in each case, it was an eager employee who just flagged it. Forced me to contact them. But it was cleaned out and was back live in about 8 hours each time.

PayPal has plenty of short-comings though. But the funnel in question runs via RAP and RAPBank so I have no choice but to use PayPal for those. The benefits of easily recruiting affiliates and having them promote more often (because they want the instant payday) outweighs what PayPal lacks.

Martin Butler
01-20-2011, 08:50 PM
I personally find the new design easier for my customers to pay by credit card. I do have the website payments pro version though. This also comes with "virtual Terminal" which means I can also take credit/debit card payments over the phone directly from my paypal account.

Rob Toth
01-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Yeah yeah Martin, rub it in. :-)

Canadian merchants don't get nearly half the cool toys you guys in the states get.

And also, regarding payments, a customer in let's say Malta would still need to jump through a few hoops to purchase by CC.

If you're account is a US merchant and the buyer is in the states... no problems what so-ever.

But if you're either not a US merchant or buyer isn't from the states, depending on PayPal's restrictions that user may not see a clear cut simple way to place an order by CC anymore.

Martin Butler
01-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Point taken Rob ;)
Just my experience here in the UK. I do ship to the States and Europe and no problems so far.
Cheers
Martin