PDA

View Full Version : Do you promote based on product or publisher

Rob Toth
12-18-2010, 02:49 AM
Just curious...

Is YOUR primary motivation for taking a serious look at a launch or affiliate opportunity based more on the individual product or the publisher behind the product?

For me, I look first at my short list of trusted publishers. Between all the neat things they come out with, coupled with my own offers... it keeps me busy enough never to really have to look outside of my trusted circle.

BUT, for the purpose of cold-hard-numbers... that's not the smartest approach.

What about you?

And if you do have trusted publishers, which names come to mind?

Phil Halloran
12-19-2010, 07:36 PM
If you don't do your best to communicate to the publisher and find out everything important about him/her, you're going to stab yourself in the back aye?

Numbers are one thing, building relationships is much more important. If you build the right relationships with people who are going to be releasing products that won't tarnish your name, the numbers will come on their own.

Davidjames
12-21-2010, 03:07 PM
I have a small list of people that I always promote for. The reason why I promote for them is because I know they always release a good product, plus they're very helpful with their affiliates. That usually results in 3-4 launches I promote a year.

Dave Jewett
12-21-2010, 05:45 PM
:) You have to have the product first is my thought, then you look at the management, their history, compensation, etc. In order to promote this to your list, the value must be the key ingredient.

Any thoughts?

Rob Toth
12-21-2010, 06:16 PM
@Dave... sounds like copy/paste verbiage from an MLM presetation, lol.

@David. Agreed. I'm the same way.

Even if the publisher that I trust has a less than stellar product that maybe I didn't research fully... I know that their overall teachings, their overall content and overall value is so tremendous that my referral being introduced to the product line is still a GOOD thing.

It's tough to review each product and I have no interest in doing so. I'd rather look at who is in my very short list of trusted vendors that I know over-deliver. And when they come out with a new offer, if it's a fit to my audience and looks good on the surface, I'm likely to promote it.

BrandonFredrickson
12-21-2010, 07:52 PM
This probably won't be a popular reply, but it's a true and honest one.

I've tended to promote, and encourage my clients to promote, based upon the relationship with the JV Parnter and affiliate and not with regad to the product for the most part.

I base this simply on the value of the relationship.

In the Forex business, for example, a great customer is worth about $600 to me once you figure out my products that they buy, plus the affiliate commissions I get. Even a "bad" affiliate is worth 8 to 10 new buyers, and a good one is can be worth six figures on each launch.

For me it simply comes down to the math and what relationship is worth the most. Like I said, probably not the most popular answer with people, and it's also one thats easy to misread, but it's a true answer.

Rob Toth
12-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Brandon...

"This probably won't be a popular reply, but it's a true and honest one. "

Unless I'm missing something, it's right in line with what everyone else is saying.

Which is great but certainly that makes it a popular reply.

I too promote based on relationships so it seems like across the board, THAT is the universal answer.

Which should serve as a great reminder for maybe someone newer to the "game"... who often tend to get very excited about how amazing and unique their product is. Instead of how effectively they can build the relationships necessary to have those long term alliances.

I also believe once someone knows the value of the relationship, they would be quicker to make sure their first deals with any prospective long term, powerful (in terms of distribution) partner is very much in favor of the new partner. Then overdeliver even beyond that and make sure you make a "human connection".

Seems as everyone will agree THAT relationship can nearly guarantee a succesfull promotion of any new launch. Even if your product ends up being mediocre or less than par (though make sure those are few and far in between otherwise you'll burn the trust others have in your product line).

Right now you could be attempting to cook up the most perfect course on XYZ. But if you're top super affiliates don't know you, like you and trust you, you have to work MUCH harder to get their attention and get them behind your product. And even then it's unlikely you'd get the same level of promotion as someone they already know.

Laurie Rogers
12-22-2010, 06:06 AM
I have a short list of people that I will promote products for as well. I also have an even shorter list of people that I will buy products from too (if necessary, since I am pretty fortunate to have a lot of relationships where I tend to get a lot of freebies), but in instances where I do have pay for something, that list is VERY short. Even if I know the person, I still have to "test drive" the product before I promote it, there's nothing worse than recommending something and if someone asks you a question about it and you have NO clue what to answer. Plus, if you really LOVE the product it has a greater tendency to show in your sales pitch, more so than the standard "you gotta have this" pitch. I've also been changing my list this past year, because a few people I used to really love are not living up to the "hype". It also could be more of the fact that I am changing my own business dynamics and they're just not for me anymore.

Robin Durham
02-27-2011, 04:57 PM
We have a pretty good screening process. We don't just promote for anyone, commission has nothing to do with it. We review whatever product we are being asked to review and if we think it is something of value to our list, we will promote.

earnme97
02-28-2011, 03:11 AM
To be honest Rob,

Before, say 6 months or so, I used to promote products from only "Gurus" or respected people. But now, I don't.

Its the quality or what, I can't say. But my list sure loves it.

Garland Coulson
02-28-2011, 03:33 PM
I have a short list of publishers I like to promote. Russell Brunson is one that comes to mind. His products convert better for me than many other big names.

So if Russell has a new product, I am inclined to promote it even if I am not that impressed with it because he has proven to know better than I what sells.

Other than that I am usually interested in tools and products that help my list members succeed.

I also prefer to promote where I get an ad swap in return.

paulbarrs
02-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Hi Rob, how are you?

I base my decision primarily on product... meaning I have to first look *at* the product and then decide if it's going to be good for my customers.

Naturally the *person* behind the product will bump up my urgency to 'look' at the product, and the person is a big thing.

I see your name here, I see Garland's - I'd always look at your stuff. *Then* decide if it fits my own schedule and customer needs.

Paul

PS. Tend to shy away from the "Guru's" - but only because more ofte4n then not (from what I see of their product), they're not really that good anyway from a value / price point of view.