PDA

View Full Version : Questions for starting out in internet marketing

Phil Halloran
12-13-2010, 10:11 PM
First of all, hello to the members of this board. This is my first post here and from the looks of it this looks like a forum full of intelligent people. I have recently set my eyes on internet marketing after watching a video series on the basics of it. I have a few questions for you all that I'd like to ask before I invest any more time into this project.

1. I am turning 19 in January and in terms of a working career I have nothing specific I would like to pursue. What is internet marketing like as a career?

2. I'm not in school and don't plan to, how far can you get in this profession without getting a degree?

3. My real passion is composing music, and I will never have the devotion for anything again besides music. How devoted do you have to be to internet marketing?

4. Can I bring enough to the table? I have advanced knowledge of Photoshop and moderate knowledge of Illustrator and sound production. I also consider myself to be spiritually aware and motivating, and was thinking of mainly writing and selling ebooks.

5. To continue with question 4, is it worth it to sell your thoughts and meditation techniques? I don't want to boast but I've had a pretty good reputation amongst the people I've met to say the right things to make them feel happier.

Thank you to anyone to answers me in advance, appreciate your time.

harrison anderson
03-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Hey there and welcome! Internet marketing is booming quickly in these past few years and has been a really great demand for this small niche. It's a good industry to get involved in if you're willing to spend a lot of time and effort into it.

Here's my answers to your questions:
1. IM and DM are different, but can be used together to help out each other. Take a look at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos020.htm as it gives an overview of what it looks like to be in the marketing industry
2. I wouldn't say you technically need a degree to actually pursue marketing as it is a lot of learned skills and experiences. If all else fails, you can always succumb to http://www.marketingdegree.net/ to get SOME education in, so that a degree will help you stand out to employers
3. You always look into marketing music on the internet? Maybe start your own music company? Then that will lead to ways on how to market your company via the web.
4. You will need more than those skills to succeed, but it's nice you have a broad field of experience and knowledge--which will help you be diverse and malleable.
5. Umm...for mediation...I wouldn't recommend that...if you just stay positive and follow what you've been called to do, then you will be successful.

Good luck and try to see what it is that you're really passionate about.

Garland Coulson
03-31-2011, 12:00 PM
First of all, hello to the members of this board. This is my first post here and from the looks of it this looks like a forum full of intelligent people. I have recently set my eyes on internet marketing after watching a video series on the basics of it. I have a few questions for you all that I'd like to ask before I invest any more time into this project.

1. I am turning 19 in January and in terms of a working career I have nothing specific I would like to pursue. What is internet marketing like as a career?

Internet marketing is a great career - lots of demand and an ever-changing field so you won't get bored. :) I suggest you also think of being an Internet entrepreneur instead of just working for others. You can earn a lot more money for the same work.

2. I'm not in school and don't plan to, how far can you get in this profession without getting a degree?
It is important to learn, but you don't have to go to school to gain the mastery you need. You can learn by ebooks, webinars and mentorship online and then work on mastering by doing.

3. My real passion is composing music, and I will never have the devotion for anything again besides music. How devoted do you have to be to internet marketing?

Like any "job" that we use to "fund our lives," you have to work at it. If you expect it to earn your full time living so you can focus more on music, you will need to spend nearly full time in the beginning, or part time if you work elsewhere. As you master it, you can outsource a lot of it.

You can also make money online with your music by music sales and licensing.

4. Can I bring enough to the table? I have advanced knowledge of Photoshop and moderate knowledge of Illustrator and sound production. I also consider myself to be spiritually aware and motivating, and was thinking of mainly writing and selling ebooks.

Your Photoshop skills qualify you for graphic design work, not Internet marketing. Graphic design can also be a well-paid field online but they aren't the same thing. You will have to work to learn Internet marketing mastery.

Writing and selling ebooks is ok, but consider focusing on video. It has higher impact and there are few barriers to creating and sharing videos online.

5. To continue with question 4, is it worth it to sell your thoughts and meditation techniques? I don't want to boast but I've had a pretty good reputation amongst the people I've met to say the right things to make them feel happier.

With the right approach, meditation techniques and ideas for spiritual living can do very well. One approach is to learn how to do workshops and public speaking (my approach) and then turn that into video, dvds and other products.

Good luck in your online ventures.

Geoff Todd
04-22-2011, 03:57 PM
IM isn't what some people make it seem like. It is a lot of work, and a lot of learning. My suggestion would be since you enjoy music, start your own music blog, create links to it, and when you start to get some decent traffic, put some clickbank or amazon products on your site.

My advice is to find an aspect of IM that you are interested in, i.e. blogs, Twitter, Facebook, etc. and learn all you can about it. Find out how people are making money off them. The biggest problem I see with new (and old) IM'ers is they jump from one get rich quick scheme to another. Find somethign and stick with it!

Rob Art
04-28-2011, 07:47 AM
I have a degree in Business and although it helps it wont suddenly propel you to stardom in any business arena, couldnt agree more with Geoff here, IM can be tough from the start but it's all about networking and meeting people and sharing ideas..

Some words of advice
Spend your time wisely, its really easy to keep busy and not actually achieve anything, this is true in all business.
Test out what your doing before spending too much time and money on it.
Start small.
Do lots of reading and research, its not as simple as making your first few e-books and watching the pay checks come in, be realistic in your expectations and you wont be disappointed.
Keep connecting with people on JVNP and other similar forums and you'll see opportunities can come from anywhere, build your skillset and keep plugging away and you'll make your own income from IM

Goodluck