PDA

View Full Version : Newbies - Schmoozing and Expectations at Conferences

Laurie Rogers
05-19-2010, 03:25 AM
Tonight was my first conference that wasn't solely based on info products even though it was a product lanuch for an info software program. Because of my history in the info products niche, I "assumed" there would be a lot of people from that niche at the conference .... WRONG! There were a variety of people that were from all different types of niches in the marketing arena, so I felt a little out of sorts at first when people were asking me what "business I was in" and they had NO clue of the people's names I was mentioning. So even though I have my list of "hero's" and they have been (in my mindset) my "A" list since 1998, it was clear to me that they weren't some of these people's "A" list marketers and they had their own list as I soon learned. (When I say I have my own list, I am referring to Jimmy D. Brown, Mike, Mark Joyner, Joel Christopher, Ken Evoy, Marlon Sanders, Joel Comm, Ewen Chia etc. etc.) and some of these people seriously had NO clue whom I was talking about and to be honest I was a little stupified at first. Because to me, "how could you not know these guys?" They've been around "forever" in internet years lol

Tonight Joel Christopher and I were speaking about it and he was like "wow Laurie it sounds like you're on a different planet" lol and honestly that's how I felt at first. So for those of you that are planning on attending conferences in the future, don't expect that everyone whom is attending is going to be familiar with what info products are (if that's your niche). Don't expect that they are going to be familiar with the people in your niche (no matter how famous they are). Do expect them to be very welcoming and interested in what your niche is (some will be and some won't) and it's not insult, it's just an arena they are unfamiliar with.

Warm up to them and listen to what it is that they do, because some day you may need them as a contact .. who knows right? And do expect them to help you out if you have an issue - (they lost my registration) and if it weren't for the comradery that the internet marketing industry offers, I wouldn't have met one of the organizers to help me sort out that issue in the lobby lol

Bring a lot of business cards with you and network with other people attending other conferences where your venue is being hosted, you never know what kinds of leads you may encounter. ie: Tonight I met a gentleman from the mining industry in the lobby and he happened to ask what conference I was attending, so explained it to him and he gave me his card and asked me to send him some information. So even though it wasn't his niche per se, he was very interested in what was being offered and I didn't even give him a lot of information.

Well there you have it, some tips for those of you that hven't yet experienced a conference.

shireesh
05-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Hi Laurie,

Great observations! I've had similar experiences at conferences too. I even met people at the Underground who did not know any big name in the industry other than Yanik whose conference they were attending. Yes! They'd never heard of all the "gurus" and big names that we've had in our consciousness for an internet eternity.

This just goes to show the enormous number of people entering this niche on a regular basis. And they seem to be entering at all levels. While some start buying and consuming products, training, coaching and getting on lists, etc. Others seem to start of with high end conferences.

It is exciting and interesting to meet people from all fields at these conferences. Thank you for sharing your experiences and tips.

Tommie Powers
05-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Laurie,

You made some great points.

It's funny you mention this, because I attended an event about marketing a few months ago and I experienced something similar.

Most of the people I met had no clue about information products and product launches.

It made me realize why product launches work so great and the reason why you can make an absolute killing outside of the Internet Marketing niche.

Thanks for the advice.

Laurie Rogers
06-08-2010, 12:30 AM
You're welcome, I just thought it was rather interesting and the whole night in my head I kept asking myself, "what is wrong with these people, how do they not know these guys?" lol And then I'd start talking to someone else and I was thinking, "damn another one who doesn't know what I'm talking about" lol Thank goodness the next day at the conference I met Nicholas Mancini and I wasn't feeling too out of sorts after that. And had a chance to mingle with Buck Rizvi - awesome guy btw. Didn't really have much of a chance to talk to Aymen or Senen but I know they will be having future conferences here in Vancouver, so perhaps then. Very interesting people and I really did like their belief systems (spiritually and community wise).

Garret Acott
06-16-2010, 09:34 AM
A real interesting read, thanks for taking the time to post it.

Garret