PDA

View Full Version : Where are you all building your relationships online?

Dan Brock
04-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Whats up everyone?

Quick intro: my name is Dan Brock, have recently got into the IM niche roughly 6-7 months ago.

I was wondering what you all do to build relationships (outside of going to seminars and events).

I feel like there are two ways to do it:

Slowly get known by being on every related forum, blog, and community you can find related to your niche. This seems like it can take forever...years.

OR

Go directly for the relationships.

I'm trying to focus on going directly for the relationships so that I don't have to spend 5 years typing my fingers off.

Where all do you guys go to start building your relationships?

I heard one way is to go and offer assistance/help on a product launch or anything else your new friend needs.

But how exactly do you get into that position?

I'm pretty sure if I were to go and email Frank Kern(or any other guru) asking him if he needed help with anything, the email would probably never be read anyway.

The same could be said for many of the other big names out there.

So where exactly do you start?

Looking forward to your thoughts :)

Thank you!
Dan Brock

citrus
04-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Hey Dan,

There are two ways, IMO, which are in some ways better than live events for relationship building.

1) Paying for someone's high-end services (e.g. 1-on-1 coaching, mastermind groups).

By doing this, you instantly get access to the person. If you have the money to spend, this is an easy way to cut the line and go straight to the top.

2) Selling lots of their stuff.

If you find yourself on a JV leaderboard, the product owner will get in touch with you. You might even find yourself on the phone with them soon after :)

Anyway, I'm going to give your last question a shot. How would I get into "that" position? I'm not 100% sure because I charge for product launch help.

However, a good place to start would be to get proper training for certain aspects of the launch. If you have special expertise (e.g. recruiting JVs, programming, affiliate management), you can definitely find a lot of people who need you.

Another thing you could do is help for free. I think there's two ways of doing this. One way is to simply provide suggestions to improve someone's product, website, or sales funnel (e.g. your ebook is full of typos, your videos don't play, you could make more money if you added another upsell and downsell). People appreciate it when other people try to help them, especially if these people don't expect any compensation. You could always mention in passing that you're a ________, so if you impress them enough, they may pick up on it and ask if you want to hop on board.

The other way is to offer to work on their project for free (or even to intern at their company). If you have specialized skills and you offer to work for free, it'll be a lot harder to say no. They win because they get an expert who can do important work for them, plus they save money. You win because you get experience, you build your portfolio, and you make that important connection.

Curtis

John Ellis
04-13-2010, 04:12 AM
You could also take their product, use it fully and make it work for you.

Then send a real testimonial or case study to them directly, and I promise it won't be ignored as all teachers/coaches love testimonials.

You could then offer to get on a call/webinar with them to demonstrate what you did and talk to them directly.

Dan Brock
04-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks guys!

This whole JV thing is still so foreign to me.

It's like the holy grail or something.

So basically what you guys are saying is that if you want to JV, you have to put in work by helping out someone?

Sounds fair...

I just wonder how some of the no names get so many gurus on board for their launch. I mean surely they didn't go around working for all those guys....

Rob Toth
04-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Dan, I posted a reply to just the last part of your question. But it kind of went off on a tangent so I set it up as a new thread instead:

http://www.jvnotifypro.com/community/index.php/topic,3746.0.html

Valeriu Popescu
04-15-2010, 04:15 AM
I'm pretty sure if I were to go and email Frank Kern(or any other guru) asking him if he needed help with anything, the email would probably never be read anyway.

The same could be said for many of the other big names out there.

You have 100% right! Now imagine how many emails those people gets every day. :o
I cannot blame them because this is just a part of the business.

But getting in contact with the owner of a big business is not pretty easy these days. You need a plan and the right approach, starting from knowing their products/services, people in the company, their market, plus many others.

Another GREAT way is to get their attention, and you can do that by simply becoming a super-affiliate for them. ;) ;) ;)

And not lastly, use some Web 2.0 resources. I do this with good results... after all, that why I wrote my JV book.

Val

Paul Teague
04-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi Dan,

I got into list building when I stumbled across JV Giveaway events.

I've found it a great place to make relationships with other marketers and often you can meet people in these events who are at the same stage as you, so they're happy to chat, make time and maybe even strike up a reciprocal arrangement with you.

I contacted people on the leader boards in Giveaways, people who were doing well, and most times they were happy to chat and answer questions.

I found running my own Giveaways even better for making relationships with other marketers ... I was able to offer other marketers free entry to my events and that always got a dialogue going.

I think that the key thing about Giveaways is that they attract a lot of people who are at the beginning of their marketing careers ... and they're definitely not restricted to just newbies, you get some big players taking part too.

On top of that I'd say that getting involved with Mastermind or coaching groups is the next best thing ... more expensive of course, but hugely valuable.

Hope that's useful, regards, Paul

Dan Brock
04-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys!

I really appreciate it. And Rob, thanks for writing up such a crazy post. I definitely learned a thing or two!

Internet marketers are so helpful lol.

I appreciate it :)

Dan Brock
04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Hi Dan,

I got into list building when I stumbled across JV Giveaway events.

I've found it a great place to make relationships with other marketers and often you can meet people in these events who are at the same stage as you, so they're happy to chat, make time and maybe even strike up a reciprocal arrangement with you.

I contacted people on the leader boards in Giveaways, people who were doing well, and most times they were happy to chat and answer questions.

I found running my own Giveaways even better for making relationships with other marketers ... I was able to offer other marketers free entry to my events and that always got a dialogue going.

I think that the key thing about Giveaways is that they attract a lot of people who are at the beginning of their marketing careers ... and they're definitely not restricted to just newbies, you get some big players taking part too.

On top of that I'd say that getting involved with Mastermind or coaching groups is the next best thing ... more expensive of course, but hugely valuable.

Hope that's useful, regards, Paul

Paul, question for you, if you don't mind.

Where all do you find JV giveaway events. Does your list ever get pissed off that you are sending them to junky giveaway events?

Thanks!
Dan

Rob Toth
04-24-2010, 03:56 AM
"But getting in contact with the owner of a big business is not pretty easy these days."

Well... I'd argue that one.

Back when I first met Mike (Merz) was when I was a inexperienced virgin to info-marketing... and he could confirm that I first connected with him talking about "launching" my "product". It was a $7.20 general concept product with no upsell, poor conversion and pretty well nothing going for it other than it being a really fun and inspiring read for novices.

But I didn't know any better so I contacted Mike to find out how I'd go about getting it launched. (I clued in shortly after and realized that I simply didn't have an offer and funnel or any event-based launch strategy to make it happen). That was how I cut my teeth.

BUT... get this...

Before I "clued in", I was already in talks with John Reese's main guy, Rich Jerk's main guy etc etc. I had their ear. I had their phone numbers and we were emailing back and forth. I even sent a "product sample" to John Reese's office. NONE of that was difficult.

How I got their info, how I approached the initial contact, how I quickly built rapport and how I positioned my proposal is what got the ball rolling. In my case, my so-called-product back then was a flake (with so many short-comings, in hindsight, that I could fill up a 50 page booklet just examining my ill thought out ways)... but getting in touch and talking to the established marketers wasn't much of a big deal even back when I had zero relationships, zero credibility and (as I mentioned) zero ready-to-launch product.

And these days in the world of Twitter, Facebook, Skype etc... it's SO MUCH easier to get anyone's contact info. Then it's just a matter of the approach.

------------------------
BTW... technically I DID write a "50 page report" detailing my flawed beginner mindset. Direct download here if you're interested: http://www.robthegenietoth.com/rude-reply-report/ (though that rant-in-a-PDF won't teach you how to actually build your relationships. might provide some insights though).

Aira
04-27-2010, 05:19 AM
Hi Dan,

I am quite new to this thing as you are and I found that everything starts if you decide to help out the big guys. And please do not start with doubts for that will only hinder your way to landing a successful JV. It is like saying 'Why should I try when I will fail anyway?' How will you know if you did not try right?

Also, do not go head on and ask for a JV. Offer to help first and it will do wonders. You will even be surprised how quick these people will receive you. Give before asking.

Hope that helps,

Aira

trafficaddict
04-28-2010, 02:16 AM
Last year, we were able to start a 6-figure a month business in a completely
new industry... We had no prior connections, or anything like that.

Here's how we did it:

1. Went to high end seminars. Most top gurus go to high end events. Ex: Underground
Online Seminar, Eben Pagan's $10,000 per person event, Frank Kern Seminar, Dan Kennedy,
and etc.

2. We network with these top gurus in these events. My team and I don't actually attend
the seminars, we stay out the entire time. We found that most top gurus are outside in
the hallways, or getting a drink in the bar, and that's the perfect time to chat with them.

3. Don't talk business first. Have fun, loosen up, get to know them. Sell them on the
product which is YOU. If they like you, and trust you they'll do business with you.

4. Offer to give value first by offering to interview them, and promote them to your
list or something. Then once you're done with that, you can tell them more about
your launch.

Bottom line is this... YOU have to dig your well before you're thirsty. Make relationship
building your number 1 priority. Do it every single day. Whether it's seminars, social
media, or over the phone.

Spend 1-2 hours a day. It's the most important activity that can bring in the most
profit for your business.

Laurie Rogers
05-03-2010, 05:23 PM
I've never really had any problems corresponding with any "guru's", the first major site I was about launch I hit Terry Dean up in a forum and asked him he'd look it over, which he did within 24 hours of my request. I thought I did a great job but I ended up having to rip it all apart and do it over again and when I did he was quite happy with my next result. I've talked to Ken Evoy on numerous occasions, Jimmy D. Brown, I first started talking to him after I purchased a product from him (I had a question lol), we kept talking back and forth, thus leading to my first major JV and creating the Ezine Resource Guide. Mike Merz, I can't even really remember when I first started talking to him but we sure talked a lot and I sure bugged him quite a bit ;) And since he's so busy now, I guess I'm out of luck for script installations lol j/k Mike ;)

As for the original question posted by Dan, my preferred place to build relationships is facebook, I have been building relationships on there for quite a few years now. And the people I have built really good, solid foundations with are pretty supportive of all the work I choose to do, thus giving me a pretty strong following.

Dan Brock
05-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Thank you for your thoughts everyone.

I'm surprisingly making some head way with building the relationships. The suggestion of buying their products, joining memberships, helping them out with content, becoming their affiliates has worked surprisingly well so far.

While I haven't asked for any JVs yet, I am certainly becoming more familiar with some of the big players so far.

It's definitely a process...but I'm not planning to do a big launch until late in the summer/early September so I got some time to work with...

I appreciate everyone's response. It has been very worthwhile!

Dan Brock
05-10-2010, 04:23 PM
I've never really had any problems corresponding with any "guru's", the first major site I was about launch I hit Terry Dean up in a forum and asked him he'd look it over, which he did within 24 hours of my request. I thought I did a great job but I ended up having to rip it all apart and do it over again and when I did he was quite happy with my next result. I've talked to Ken Evoy on numerous occasions, Jimmy D. Brown, I first started talking to him after I purchased a product from him (I had a question lol), we kept talking back and forth, thus leading to my first major JV and creating the Ezine Resource Guide. Mike Merz, I can't even really remember when I first started talking to him but we sure talked a lot and I sure bugged him quite a bit ;) And since he's so busy now, I guess I'm out of luck for script installations lol j/k Mike ;)

As for the original question posted by Dan, my preferred place to build relationships is facebook, I have been building relationships on there for quite a few years now. And the people I have built really good, solid foundations with are pretty supportive of all the work I choose to do, thus giving me a pretty strong following.

You have an advantage because you are pretty! hahaha.

Seriously though, with your FB comment, how are you getting them to add you as a friend if they don't know you? How are you 'opening' the conversation?

Thanks!
Dan

Dan Brock
05-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Here's how we did it:

1. Went to high end seminars. Most top gurus go to high end events. Ex: Underground
Online Seminar, Eben Pagan's $10,000 per person event, Frank Kern Seminar, Dan Kennedy,
and etc.

2. We network with these top gurus in these events. My team and I don't actually attend
the seminars, we stay out the entire time. We found that most top gurus are outside in
the hallways, or getting a drink in the bar, and that's the perfect time to chat with them.

Have you ever gone to one of those events any never successful made any connections? That would suck to shell out that money without meeting anyone...

Are they open to talking to some random guy that comes up and starts chatting?

Or is their radar on like 'oh this guy probably wants something out of me...'

Laurie Rogers
05-11-2010, 03:38 PM
You have an advantage because you are pretty! hahaha.

Seriously though, with your FB comment, how are you getting them to add you as a friend if they don't know you? How are you 'opening' the conversation?

Thanks!
Dan

Thanks for the compliment ;) I run a variety of different groups on facebook, most of which are on social causes that I work on and some are for music promotion (as I dabble in that field as well), so because of my interest in social causes and music, this has opened the door to discuss other things, like internet marketing (everybody needs to make money right?). Whenever I send out messages to my groups, I post links (sig file style so not spammy) to all of my other sites and groups. And people just ask me, "what about the internet marketing?"so I talk to them about it.

I don't really add a lot of people, they add me.

P.S.

Also, most of those relationships I formed with "guru's" go back quite a few years ago, and there were not a lot of forums etc. where you saw someone's pictures and actually my picture was in my "contact me " section of my site, so my looks were not "used to my advantage" lol And I still don't do that, don't need to ;)

Laurie Rogers
05-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Another thing to consider doing, is taking your written articles and posting them in marketing related groups on facebook this builds up your networking on facebook as well.

Desmond Chen
05-12-2010, 12:35 AM
hi dan, way to go . i would advice you to go directly for the relationships instead of trying to make yourself known on forums. what is the point , you are not a real hiuman here, just another faceless person ( i see your pic but that doesnt change anything) hiding behind a computer.

Laurie Rogers
05-12-2010, 10:53 AM
hi dan, way to go . i would advice you to go directly for the relationships instead of trying to make yourself known on forums. what is the point , you are not a real hiuman here, just another faceless person ( i see your pic but that doesnt change anything) hiding behind a computer.

We're all behind computers, it doesn't mean we're hiding behind them and it's called "networking" an important aspect to the success of any business. If you consider it hiding and not being a real human, then what are you doing here?

Rob Toth
05-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Just to chime in on these last few posts...

Most of my jvs, networking, partnerships all stemmed from faceless contact: forums, skype, facebook, emails. Of course, phone calls then occurred but in person meetings were rare.

That being said, I've directly and indirectly made thousands upon thousands from every single IM conference I've been to. I've only been to about 5... each one flipped into high 4-figure quick deals or more commonly low 5-figure quick deals and even 1 6-figure deal. But those same relationships are here for a long time and will develop into even more indirectly.

So...

I agree with Laurie, there's a lot of value to online networking. When done with purpose vs. just "hanging out" and "chatting". (Or at least that's what works for ME).

But you greatly accelerate the process with in person meets. Especially if lunch, dinner, drinks or some down-time is involved with that other merchant/marketer. It's a quick way to build the start of a new friendship and working relationship.

Laurie Rogers
05-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Just to chime in on these last few posts...

Most of my jvs, networking, partnerships all stemmed from faceless contact: forums, skype, facebook, emails. Of course, phone calls then occurred but in person meetings were rare.

That being said, I've directly and indirectly made thousands upon thousands from every single IM conference I've been to. I've only been to about 5... each one flipped into high 4-figure quick deals or more commonly low 5-figure quick deals and even 1 6-figure deal. But those same relationships are here for a long time and will develop into even more indirectly.

So...

I agree with Laurie, there's a lot of value to online networking. When done with purpose vs. just "hanging out" and "chatting". (Or at least that's what works for ME).

But you greatly accelerate the process with in person meets. Especially if lunch, dinner, drinks or some down-time is involved with that other merchant/marketer. It's a quick way to build the start of a new friendship and working relationship.

Case in point, a lot of people I did big deals with I've never met in person, some I've never even talked to on the phone or via chat etc. just email or on a forum. And for some, you never even knew what they looked like or what they sounded like ie: Jimmy D. Brown, back in the day, NOBODY knew what Jimmy looked like or sounded like, but everyone wanted to work with him. I can't even remember how long it was that I was speaking with Mike, before I met him in person, quite a while I think and for the longest time he was the ONLY person I ever met in person lol ...

If that's going to be someone's sole basis for not working with a person, I wish you all the best in this industry. ... now I'm going to go back to hiding behind my computer lol

Chris Pambos
05-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Always give before asking, in most cases, you won't need to ask for anything in return as long as you've given good will to begin with.

KevinRiley
05-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Skype. Can't say enough good about it.

I'll always try to get someone on Skype, whether I meet them in a forum, on Twitter, or at a live event (which, due to my geographic location, is not as often as I wish it could be).

shireesh
05-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Point well noted about Skype, Kevin. I believe that is a neglected tool as far as relationship building is concerned.

It's surprising how many people will be willing to touch base on Skype even if they are not willing get on the phone with you.

Amazing relationships are built pretty fast on twitter. But you have to work it diligently. Become a part of the conversation. Find what the people you want to connect with are tweeting about and become a part of that conversation. I know people who have built their businesses in the past two years solely through relationships built on twitter. However, not everybody has the discipline and commitment needed to work this fast moving medium. Some people are just naturals and thrive in it.

jacksonlin
10-24-2010, 11:39 PM
I was able to get the attention of Mark Ling by doing his course and following it word for word - then getting results! Tomorrow I'm going to meet him in New Zealand! =]

But I would like to know other ways, because my method is SLOW.

Rob Toth
10-31-2010, 11:46 PM
Skype is great.

And you can often find contacts (a target JV partner) on there by searching by name. You may get 2-3 results... just toss a feeler to each of them and you'll end up on Skype directly with the person you want to deal with.

Skype is a must in my world. Only surefire way to reach me. I take sabbatical's from my email inbox, Facebook PMs are never treated with priority, my personal cell phone is turned off when I'm focused and working, office line never gets answered... but skype is great.

Glen Kirkham
11-05-2010, 11:12 PM
If You Are In The IM Niche, Warrior Forum Is Absolutely Imperative