PDA

View Full Version : Silly JV contests

citrus
12-10-2009, 04:08 PM
We've all seen those big guru launches. They all have redonkulous JV prizes, with the top 10 JVs getting Porsches, skydiving lessons, exotic vacation packages, etc. Every time those contests happen, you always end up recognizing everybody on the leaderboard. That's great for the product owner, but not that great for the vast majority of JV partners.

The point of a JV contest is to encourage JV partners to promote. Most people don't have giant lists - in fact, many JV partners won't have lists at all, so they'll try to promote through organic or paid search.

When you have prizes for the top 10 JV partners, you're really only creating a competition for the top 20 or so people. Let's face it, the rest of them don't stand a chance at winning anything and they'll feel left out. On one hand, you'll be making the top 10 JVs really happy and maybe even the top 20-something happy because they all made a good chunk of change. On the other hand, by having a more inclusive JV contest, you'll be making anyone who puts in effort happy.

Let me go off on a little tangent for a second to talk about something which makes me laugh (but it's also a little sad). Once in a while, I'll see some very inexperienced IMers wanting to launch their $27 ebook in the IM space. They decide that the right thing to do for their product is to do a big JV launch, so they create a "massive" JV contest and post a JV request somewhere claiming that "This will be huge!" Upon clicking through to their JV invite page, here's what we see:

Example 1)
100 sales: An extra $100
200 sales: An extra $200
300 sales: An extra $300
(not kidding...I saw something like this)

Example 2)
1st, 2nd, 3rd place: reciprocal mailing

Man...I could go on about this, but I won't. Let's keep the rant short, shall we? Why should I bust my ass trying to make so many sales of a product that is probably not groundbreaking only to get a bonus of $100? Why would such a pathetic incentive make me want to promote your product? Unless your list is big and responsive, why would I care about a reciprocal mailing to your list?

Guys and gals: don't be greedy. Many of the gurus we all know built their businesses through successful partnerships and business relationships. Hell, I know a lot of them that have nothing going for them except their big lists and million-dollar rolodexes. Make your JV contests friendlier by offering milestone incentives, daily contests...or get creative. And don't just get creative with the structure of your JV contest - get creative with the prizes too. You can't go wrong with generous cash prizes, but think of some fun and desirable prizes that you could give away for everyone who makes 5 sales, 10 sales, etc. Remember, not everyone wants (or likes) Apple products :P

Curtis

Obadiah Roszman
12-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Thats good info man, and nice usage of the word "redonkulous". :D
What would you have for JV prizes?

Desmond Ong
12-11-2009, 04:14 AM
Well Curtis,

This only happens in the internet marketing niche because let's face it, the big gurus are the ones with the big list and the big influence.

I've done some really small scale launches (not million dollar payday yet) in various other smaller niches in health, dating, sports etc. And most of the top 10 jv leaderboard always ended up with some unknown jv partners.

In the IM arena, the big gurus are the ones who are responsible for most of the sales for the product owners. For example, Mr. A (guru) will make 50 sales while normal JV could get only 1 or 2 sales.

Outside of IM, things are a little different. Almost every JV partner make pretty balanced number of sales (not sure if i described this correctly). For example, Mr. B (my #1 jv partner who won himself an iMac) got around 20 sales for my launch while another of my jv partner (no where close to the top 10 jv leaderboard) made around 10 sales.

Just saying though.

Oh BTW, Apple products rock.

citrus
12-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Excellent point, Desmond. It is mainly an IM phenomenon.

Obie - some ideas:

-48-hour contest for most sales, highest conversions, coolest promo video.
-Flip camera
-headset/mic

Again, going with cash prizes isn't original, but you can't go wrong if you're generous with the prizes. Remember, your front-end profits are insignificant compared to your back-end and future profits.

Curtis

BrandonFredrickson
12-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Not to sound like an ass or anything, but the top 20 or so JV partners are actually the only one's that really matter.

I just did a launch that made $1,100,000 and we had 400 partners. The top 10 guys did 70% of the sales, the top 20 did 87%. 380 JV's did 13% of the sales. Who am I going to focus my attention on? The 80/20 rule applies to almost everything.

BrandonFredrickson
12-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Btw, I totally agree with you on the daily contests and stuff though. I also do surprise contests. First to X number of sales etc. I've also run contests where I sort people out. During the prelaunch phase whoever generates X to X leads is in one bracket, whoever is generated Y to Y leads is in another bracket etc.

One thing for sure, contests work. You should put some thought into them.

citrus
12-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Not to sound like an ass or anything, but the top 20 or so JV partners are actually the only one's that really matter.

I just did a launch that made $1,100,000 and we had 400 partners. The top 10 guys did 70% of the sales, the top 20 did 87%. 380 JV's did 13% of the sales. Who am I going to focus my attention on? The 80/20 rule applies to almost everything.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the rest of them don't matter though...haha. Good point about the 80/20 rule though.

So in addition to having awesome prizes for top overall performers, it definitely wouldn't hurt to have some prizes for others as well. I like the idea of surprise contests! I like milestone prizes too :)

Desmond Ong
12-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Brandon gave me an idea to do daily contest prize for the most sales per day which works pretty well.

Mike Merz
12-13-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm a major proponent of rewarding performance ... at the highest level, but also overall. Honestly, I believe on average that most sales leaderboards will show that 90% of the JV sales are usually made by the Top 10% ... going beyond even Pareto's Principle, but that does not mean you shouldn't work on giving less capable partners reason to push harder. I think that though you should focus on your core inner circle (the 10 to 20%), you don't want to count out those that could possibly ascend to the higher level down the road a launch or 2. Allow your JV Network to grow from within ... ;)

Cheers,

Mike

Mike White
12-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Awesome thread.

This gives some very excellent ideas.

I'm a newbie to JV, and I'm glad to see this type of info before creating a contest that may be viewed as 'lame'.

(I would've been running a contest with a bonus $100 or something. LOL)

Thanks again man, for the great tips.

Robert Kimsey
12-16-2009, 01:21 PM
As usual Mike you hit it on the head. I would like to make just one other comment though. While I think it is important to work closely with your top JV's, that's were the money is, giving encouragement and motivation to those that are "the little guy" will payoff down the road. Help them to be successful and they will work with you over and over again and in the future they may be your big guns.

I look at it as though I am creating relationships both with Kings and Paupers.

Just a comment from a new member and an old marketer

Bob Kimsey
The Vhiper Network

John Taylor
12-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I agree that it's important to focus on the guys
who bring in the gravy.

BUT..

You've also got to encourage the people who put
in the effort.

I like to see rewards for the most innovative
promotion strategy, the best use of Twitter or the
funniest video promo.

The guys that put in the effort to promote you and
your product and helping to build your brand and
your reputation which in the long run can be more
profitable than a few short term commissions.

John

Bob Crawford
12-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Love the thread! I just launched my first major product, and was toying with the idea of some sort of contest or something to attract affiliates. I've seen those 'redonkulous' contests too, and wondered how fruitful they were in attracting new affiliates.

I'd welcome any suggestions for a non-IM niche contest, I'm in the self improvement / law of attraction niche myself.

Peace,
Bob

brandondrury
01-03-2010, 11:03 PM
So how does a person go about determining what the right incentive amount is?

Brandon

Matt Wolfe
01-08-2010, 02:31 PM
This is a helpful thread. I'm planning on doing my first large scale launch in March of this year. I wanted to do a contest but didn't really know what would be good prizes.

Note to self, don't be cheap. :)

Matt

Becky jenkins
01-08-2010, 04:00 PM
This has been a really interesting and enlightening thread, I have not done a JV before, so the info here has been very useful. Perhaps if there is anyone out there who has recently done their first jv and could pass on some tips that would be appreciated. Becky

Chris Jenkins
01-08-2010, 11:43 PM
I agree with Matt this opens my eyes up! Never really thought about some of the ideas for contests presented here thanks everyone.

Chris

RyanMoran
01-13-2010, 07:29 PM
For my most recent launch, I decided to give out 10% bonus for certain tiers, but in prizes instead of cash. So if somebody sold $10k in product, then I tried to make the corresponding prize equal to $1k.

And Curtis, you're right about it tailoring to the big guys, but you'd be surprised how much prizes can motivate the "little guys" when they are attainable. That's why I put my first bonuses close in number - prizes for 1 sale, 3 sales, five sales, ten sales, then I jump up to twenty, thirty, fifty...

That way, even the little guys can get in on it, and they think, "If I can just make two more sales..."

Michael Blair
01-14-2010, 07:04 AM
I like that word redonkulous. Not sure what it means but it sounds funny. I found your post right on time bro because I was just in the process of creating a jv contest page for my upcoming launch. I've always felt the same way about those contests.

I think I'll take your advice and provide prizes the affiliates who are only able to sell a dozen or so. I think they deserve it more.