PDA

View Full Version : Hi, thinking of setting up a JV - need some advice

johnmurray01
10-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi there - (just signed up so I'm a new member to the forum)

I have my own information websites & blogs at the moment and plan to team up with an expert to sell some training dvds in the area of interest that my websites & blogs relate to.

I would pay for the production of the dvds (i.e. pay the cameraman, pay the fulfillment company, etc.) and I would do all the marketing via my websites.

The expert will appear in the dvds as he will be the one giving the training advice - but that's about it - although I would also want to have his time at later dates also if we ever need to update or add additional dvds.

My question is what legal rights do each of us have in this case? Thing is, I'm unsure of whether I can just pay this expert a one-off fee for his appearance in the dvds or not, or whether he has other legal rights to the sale of these dvds.

I'm quite happy to do a deal where I give him a % of the sales/profits from the dvds instead but I need to know what the legal rights of both our businesses are first before - and also how to set this up with a solicitor.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

John

johnmurray01
10-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi again - just read mike's posts on how this forum works which i probably should have read first.

Now not so sure this is where to ask the question i asked in my first post - so apologies if that is the case.

If that is the case, maybe someone could advise of some other forum that would be more appropriate?

Anyway, nuf said
:-[

Mike Merz
10-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Hey, John.

I would lay the project out on paper, contact the expert and make a proposal ... it's quite possible he/she has done that type of thing before, you won't know unless you ask.

That being said, if I was investing a significant amount of money and time into a project, I'd recommend a lawyer right up a agreement(s) between the 2 of you to be on the safe side.

Cheers,

Mike