PDA

View Full Version : Phone, face time and LIQUOR for better JVs

Rob Toth
10-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Let's call this a friendly reminder...

If you're sticking to nothing but email for approaching others for strategic JVs or affiliate recruitement, you're missing the real opportunity.

First of all, even email affiliate recruitment (often called JVs though that's hardly accurate) can be done in a right or wrong way. Meaning effective vs. ineffective.

But...

The bigger opportunity is the human-touch side of things: having a phone (or skype) call with the person, meeting for a bit of face time.

Sure an email may sell that merchant on mailing for you. Once. Or twice.

But if you want them to have a better chance of falling in love with your product and really taking charge with the promotion, you need to "meet". You want that human interaction.

And if you have the opportunity, then take even THIS to the next level by throwing in some liquor.

Okay... I don't actually mean booze itself is necessary, but R&R time. Hang-out with your merchant. A round of golf. Fishing. Skydiving. Some sort of activity that allows the 2 of you to bond a bit.

I hung out with a well established marketer just days ago. We spent about 4 hours together. We starting etching out a partnership that we're each excited about. Because of the different assets each side brings to the table, with minimal work, this JV deal will be worth a new $250k+ over the next 1-2 years.

I regularly spend time with another marketer... soon to be a very big name as he's been a behind-the-scenes guy for some of the MOST profitable info product launches... he, his affiliate manager and I are already etching out a deal that will likely come to fruition in Jan/Feb 2010. The *NET* pay-out to me from that JV is expected to be at least $40k-$50k in the one month. My work involvement on that project will be minimal.

In both cases, the deals developed from bonding and face time not from an email pitch.

Mike Carraway
10-01-2009, 06:54 PM
the booze and "hanging out" time sounds like a great idea. ;D

My question has always been where and how to get to that point in a relationship. I will gladly provide golf carts and greens fees!

I have not had too much success "hooking up" with bigger IMers. Any tips?

Rob Toth
10-01-2009, 11:02 PM
I spoke to one of my clients today. He's a relative novice...operating at a $2500/month level.

He was at a marketing seminar and Frank Kern was in attendance. Apparently the 2 of them had some laughs and Frank invited him out for a drink with the rest of the guys.

My ex-client said thanks but no thanks. His rational was "what would I have talked to them about... they're making huge money and I'm just getting started".

:o

So tip #1 ... do NOT do what he did.

Regardless if it's Frank, another established IMer or any other "mover and shaker", don't pass up a chance to say hello.

As for tips of how to keep building that relationship... I can't help you too much other than to use the same social skills you'd use to create friendships in every day situations such as: be fun and friendly so others want to spend time with you, be honest and genuine, and be YOU.

Add them to your facebook friends and Twitter followers. Comment, as a friend, from time to time on whatever is interesting in their life. Toss them a useful resource link and a hello from time to time. Etc etc.

There's no magic to it... people will gravitate to you if you're genuine and fun. If you're anal, 100% shop-talk focused or have a me-me-me attitude (which I doubt!!) then you'll miss on a lot of opps... otherwise, they'll come to you.

That all being said... a logical and suggested step is to get out to events where you can meet these movers and shakers. So attend internet marketing seminars (let me take a quick second here to shamelessly plug my own Canada Marketing Summit happening Vancouver, BC May 13-17th 2010 ), join masterminds and network.

Russell Lowrey
10-27-2009, 10:45 AM
You are right about this, email is so impersonal. We, as humans are social creatures who like to talk too and be around others.

Linda Brown
10-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks for advice. I will use your recommendation with our next product launch

GlennGrundberg
10-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey-

I wholeheartedly agree on this one...

And I'm gonna try and get to Vancouver in the spring so you can show me first hand about this "Booze" thingy... :D

Gman

jhornung
10-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Nice tip Genie!

Todd Lamb
11-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Critical advice...the personal touch has definitely been lost and could certainly make the difference... great post

Rob Toth
11-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Gman, I'll schedule a full presentation on "the booze thingy" just to make sure I drive the point home. Audience participation for this part of the seminar will, of course, be encouraged.

(on that note, I have some really great guys and industry veterans lined up for CMS 2010 so I do hope to see you up here)