PDA

View Full Version : Product launch #s and other hooplah

Rob Toth
09-10-2009, 11:15 PM
One man operation (like most launches, add on possibly a handful of part time VAs) .. works tirelessly for 3 months with product development, web design, coordinating VAs, writing promo emails, recruiting affiliates etc etc...

3 months of work.

Launch day... makes $10,000 gross in first hour... of which, his net is $4000.

Headline:

"While Most Dream of Making $10,000 Per Month... I Reveal The Secrets of How I Made $10,000 in ONE HOUR."

::)

Now...

That's technically true because "made" is a very arbitrary word.

But what actually happened (so far in my little not-so-far-fetched story) is... 3 months of long hours for $4000 net income.

The point?

I'm not sure... just still tickles me when entrepreneurs try to compare apples to oranges... in this case profits to wages (or investment yields to wages).

Recently, a facebook status I saw said "how one man made $400,000 million in ONE DAY!!!!" etc etc. As any logical thinking individual would have guessed, it was the sale of a massive asset.

Sure that sale resulted in $400,000 million in the one day... but it took 30 years to build.

Okay... I'll go back to watching a marketer's video (who I'll keep un-named) with hyped up numbers that inspired all this. But please note that in the midst of all the successful and fun product launches and big paydays... there's A LOT more in behind the curtains to how the numbers really unfold.

It's not a scam and nobody's trying to "trick" you so I'm certainly not trying to have you become a skeptic. The numbers, I'm sure, are legit (well, most of the times)... but all you need to remind yourself is there's more to the story than what the fancy headline tells you.

And if you remember that one point, then your $10,000 net launch week that took you 1 month to setup and $500 invested will actually sound better than a $100,000 launch week (gross) that cost 5 months to setup with $5000 invested.

So don't be a skeptic... but do be a thinker and be aware.

BrandonFredrickson
09-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Excellent post Rob.

FlipMyPLR.com
09-15-2009, 02:30 AM
Great post! Well said!