PDA

View Full Version : What motivates you to promote? Bonus suggestions needed...

Jennifer Hunt
07-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Although I have had multiple product launches - come this Fall, I will be pushing a larger launch than I have previously done.

I have about 5-6 possible JV's lined up with very targeted large lists that I am excited about -- and the pricepoint for my product looks like it will be about $100 - with a 50/50 split.

My question is- what kind of bonuses would you recommend to JV's?
I'm thinking cash for the first to reach
100 sales
250 sales
500 sales

Any thoughts about what those cash bonuses should look like? How much is enough to motivate... ?
Thanks!

Eric Rockefeller
07-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Hey Jennifer,

Bonuses for JV's depends on how big the JV's role might be and what you plan on reaching goal wise for your launch, but definitely do it by first to reach certain sales, that way you can factor about how much you want to spend on prizes or bonus cash. Also might want to include prizes all the way down atleast top 5

Jennifer Hunt
07-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Eric,

Thank you for your thoughts - appreciate it.
I plan to give everything to the JV's on a silver platter - articles, reports, tips... tools they can use to promote it. All they will have to do is plug them into mailings to their list. If you had a nice list of 20k+ that would be interested in my product - would a $1000 bonus inspire you to push to reach 500 sales? One thing I want to keep in mind is that I am setting a precedent for future product launches with these JV's - so, I don't want to go overboard... but, I want to motivate them to really push this product. 500 sales at a $50 payout is a nice $25k for the affiliate - a $1k bonus doesn't sound like much when I look at it that way.

Last year I had 524 sales (and at a much lower price point - $29) with only one of these JV's involved (and they didn't really push it - plan to change that this year by giving them lots of affiliate tools) -- I guess, you bring up another question. Based on last years sales, how can I forcast and set goals for this year? I will be having more people promoting it this year (4x last year). Of course I would like to see thousands of sales - but, how do I know what is a realistic goal (maybe this should be a different thread)...
Thanks,
Jenni

Jinger Jarrett
07-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Jennifer,

Sounds like you really care about your customers and JV partners. To me, that's a step a lot of people who want to JVs miss.

I don't know how others evaluate a joint venture proposal. I personally look for a great product. Will it do what it says?

I guess I have been burned enough by buying bad products that I get a little cynical. Although a good deal is important to me, and getting a personal email that lets me know that the potential partner actually knows who I am is important.

Sounds like you know what you are doing already. However, if you need further help, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll be happy to.

Regards,

Jinger

Sam Heyer
07-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Hey Jennifer,

As an affiliate manager and working with a lot of top JV partners the single best thing you can do is make everything as simple as them clicking the send button...

When I work with major marketers on launches, I do absolutely everything I can for them... I create custom emails written in their voice, I set up custom pages for them, I offer unique campaigns specifically for their list...

The bottom line that I've found is if you genuinely bend over backwards for them, they will do the same for you - that's a rule of thumb and we all know there are certain people that don't see it that way or if something comes up, but for the most part that is the single best thing you can give your JV partners...

But if you really want to add incentive for them by adding bonuses I like to stick to tangible products, to me it seems to mean more...

If your top affiliate brings in 25k for you then why not buy them a $2,000 Plasma TV or something ... or a an new computer ... or an mp3 player ...

If you can, find out what they like and get them a "Thank you" prize after launch regardless ... this will build a friendship with your JV partners that most other people don't have :)

Hope that helps...

Talk soon,
Sam

Jinger Jarrett
07-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Hey Sam,

I like your idea. Where do I sign up for the Plasma TV. :)

Jinger

BTW, he's right. Make it as easy as possible. I've gotten a lot JVs where I went to the site, and I wasn't sure what to do when I got there.

Sam Heyer
07-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks Jinger...

If I find a launch giving away a Plasma you'll be the first to know ;-)

There was actually a launch not to long ago that gave away a Plasma (I think Ewen Chia might have one it) ... I can't remember what product it was for though...

Sam

Jennifer Hunt
07-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Love that idea, Sam - thanks!

And, yes - I am getting my affiliate toolbox all ready so it is as easy as can be for my JV's.

Mike Merz
07-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Nice thread you have going here, Jennifer.

Have you considered tiered commissions based on number of sales?

Example:

1 - 50 sales = $20 commission per sale

51 - 100 sales = $30 " " "

... so on, and so forth.

As each tier is reached, they lock into the higher commission.

Most good AP scripts have that function available ... and that method has been used by major APs for some time to motivate.

Also ... will you have a contest ... archived on a JV blog, where your partners can see who's in the lea? ... the top 5 - 10? (pride plays a big factor in getting them motivated)

Best,

Mike