PDA

View Full Version : To alias or not to alias, that is my question..

James Durrant
07-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Hello all,

For those in the know, what reasons should I/shan't I use an alias?
I have no problems having my name out there, but are there advantages/disadvantages on doing so?

Are there situations where using pen-names is a must?

Thank you to all who generously contribute to this community.

James

Bob Gatchel
07-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Hey James,

It all depends on exactly what you are trying to do online.

In my case I do both ... I use aliases or "pen names" for some of my products that don't fit my "primary" presence online. In my case I PERSONALLY want to continue to promote my training, coaching, internet marketing consulting with my NAME.

But if I want to really test out a niche and write or outsource a product to sell in that niche ... I use a PEN name since I don't want to be known as the guy that is ALSO a "golf expert" ... or dog training expert ... or crochet expert ... you get the picture.

My suggestion is figure out your CORE business where you want to put YOUR PRESENCE AND NAME ... and everything else, use a pseudonym! Just my two cents!

citrus
07-07-2009, 08:32 PM
You should use a pen name is when you're involved in "secret" niches which you don't want everyone finding through searches on Google or EzineArticles (for example). This protects your niches and your keywords :)

Curtis

cre8iveq
07-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Hi James,

I had a similar thought at first, but I figured I want to be around a while, and I want to build up a name. If I start to get big, people will find out, and it will look like I had something to hide.

Then again, look at Eban Pagan (aka David DeAngelo)... he seems to be doing fine.

David Raybould
07-09-2009, 02:32 PM
James-

Good question.

It really does depend what you're
doing, and what niches you're into.

The sticking point is gender- some
niches will respond better to a particular
gender.

So you may want to use a female pen
name to go into a niche which is
targeting women...